banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wire Length / Latency / Delay / Whatever it is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire Length / Latency / Delay / Whatever it is...

Quick question about a project idea, would the position of a volume/tone pot lead to major latency/delay issues if the pot was placed a specific distance from the pickup or output?

The position would be not that different than the top kill switch on the Buckethead guitar, except for... well, it's a kill switch.

Not at all, the signal through a guitar cable is millions of meters per second.

You wont perceive this

The real risk of cable length is high frequency loss -but the moving a switch on a guitar up to the upper side isnt enough distance to hear.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Q. Does the master volume on your amp cause a delay or latency? It's at the whole other end of the chain.

A. Where the volume is doesn't have any affect on latency.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        Q. Does the master volume on your amp cause a delay or latency? It's at the whole other end of the chain.
        People have said that cable length can cause issues, so that's a different fish.

A. Where the volume is doesn't have any affect on latency.
        But imagine if it did.

Comment

Guitar cable length could cause a loss of high end, but the spacing of electronics in a guitar will have no perceivable effect.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
            People have said that cable length can cause issues, so that's a different fish.
            It takes hundreds of feet before there starts to be an issue. But when that happens, there is this solution:

The Radial SGI Studio Guitar Interface class-A line driver with load correction lets you send a guitar signal up to 100 meters via balanced cable without noise.

Comment

Guitar signal travels at near the speed of light, so no issues.
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

The thing about adding capacitance is, high frequency loss isn't the only consequence - it also lowers the resonant frequency of your pickups.
                This often is perceived as fatter tone overall, in addition to damping some air & definition in the highs.
                Capacitance definitely matters.

Still, even with cheap hookup wire an extra couple of inches isn't likely to affect tone in any way you can hear.
                An extra foot or so would be a different story.

And as pointed out already, the time delay is not enough to have any effect.
                In a single millisecond electricity travels about 186 miles.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I've just realised the full extent of how stupid my original question was. Especially since I want to put the volume pot where the toggle switch would usually be.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ProjTest.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	6251209

I might change the plate behind the tailpiece to something else.

Comment

Working...
                  X