My homemade guitar case humidifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My homemade guitar case humidifiers

This winter I will be doing something I've never done before to my guitars. I'm going to put in homemade humidifiers in their cases. I got the idea from someone on this forum. I could have spent another $50.00 and bought something from Sweetwater, but this fellow said making your own is just as good. Here are a few photos:

Attached Files

Why have a sponge at all? You just need water in a dish.

Edit - Oh, is this for a case that you're moving around a lot?
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Is that glass or plastic?
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Oh crap. Should I be keeping my guitars in cases? I have them hanging on a wall. I have fish tanks which keep the room humidified. I haven't had any problems afaict.

Maybe a fish tank is cheaper that buying a humidifier for every guitar case?

I have a dehumidifier for use as needed.

Comment

Dishes are glass. A sponge is better. You can wet in to the max or ring some water out of it. You can regulate it.

Comment

Living in Florida, there is no need for such things. Near 100% humidity all the time.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Has me wondering if mold would be an issue

Comment

Some people use plastic travel soapdishes with holes drilled in the lid.
                Myself, I just keep a slightly-damp kitchen sponge in the utility compartment of each case.
                Have done that since the 70s on the advice of a friend who was Steve Howe's guitar tech.

I moisten the sponges every six months or so - more often for cases that are opened often.
                That's for the electrics, where it's really just to keep the fretboards from drying out.

Never had a mold or mildew problem in five decades of doing it that way. But my home base is in the Northeast.
                And I wouldn't recommend it for any case that had survived a flood or ever had mildew issues.

Am more careful with acoustics, since adequate humidification is crucial, especially for older ones - a couple of mine are from the 40s & 50s.
                I use the plastic D'Addario soundhole humidifiers with microsponge inserts, and I remoisten them on a regular schedule.
                Three month intervals during the warmer season, then every other month when the heat's on and the air is drier.
                Bought digital hygrometers for the cases too. I only have eight acoustics, so it isn't much work to keep 'em humidified.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                  Has me wondering if mold would be an issue
                  I've been doing it for years with no problem. I don't even bother with the container.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                    Am more careful with acoustics, since adequate humidification is crucial, especially for older ones - a couple of mine are from the 40s & 50s.
                    I use the plastic D'Addario soundhole humidifiers with microsponge inserts, and I remoisten them on a regular schedule.
                    Three month intervals during the warmer season, then every other month when the heat's on and the air is drier.
                    Bought digital hygrometers for the cases too. I only have eight acoustics, so it isn't much work to keep 'em humidified.
                    I have never seen damage to an electric guitar from improper humidification. Acoustics yes - they'll swell and crack, but I don't think you really need to worry about electrics . . . I've had mine from 100% humidity in the summer to 5% in the winter with no issues.

Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I would feel better with plastic containers

I can just imagine picking up the case
                      And that hard glass waylaying my prized guitar
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I have a Herco case humidifier for my Martin D-28. It needs to be refreshed. It's been a good while. Then again, the humidity here can be pretty stable but this summer was crazy hot with little to no rain so it dropped. I don't take it out of the case a lot bit I do need to keep the humidifier wet. Now is a good time as any. Good reminder.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I have never seen damage to an electric guitar from improper humidification. Acoustics yes - they'll swell and crack, but I don't think you really need to worry about electrics . . . I've had mine from 100% humidity in the summer to 5% in the winter with no issues.
                          Any guitar could suffer fret sprout if it becomes truly desiccated. I humidify my electrics just to keep the fretboards happy.
                          But it's not as if I'm keeping them jungle-damp or anything.

When properly humidified, ordinary rosewood opens up its grain a little over the years and begins to feel a bit waxy, almost like Brazilian.
                          Most ebony seems to look and feel pretty much the same over time regardless of case environment.
                          However if it's allowed to dry out too much for too long, ebony can shrink quite a lot - enough to see.
                          Rosewood doesn't seem to do that - it might tighten a bit, but doesn't become visibly smaller.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                          X