I'm Impressed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Impressed!

Top L recently did a survey about leveling your own frets. Not many responded, but 75% of those who did said they do their own levelling. That's way more than I expected.
    Great work guys!
    I'm impressed at how many people (at least on this forum) who do so much of their own guitar work...fret work, body routing, rewiring, painting/refinishing, pup magnet swaps, and hybridding, etc.
    It's ok if you don't have the time, the inclination, skill, or desire to do any or all of it. Nothing wrong with those who keep me working. But it's great to see so many that are at least WILLING to try to do some basic and even some very complicated technical stuff.
    Kudos.
    (Now, if only I could learn to fix my amp)!
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

I guess I can say the only thing I haven't done is an entire refret. I don't have the tools to do a refret and haven't had to have any refretted anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
      I guess I can say the only thing I haven't done is an entire refret. I don't have the tools to do a refret and haven't had to have any refretted anyway.
      Re-fretting isn't too bad. Next time I do it though, I want to have a way to press the frets in rather to seat them than trying to hammer them . . . you can do it with a hammer, but I found it a lot more finicky that I'd like. Most of the rest of the procedure was pretty straight forward though.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Re-fretting isn't too bad. Next time I do it though, I want to have a way to press the frets in rather to seat them than trying to hammer them . . . you can do it with a hammer, but I found it a lot more finicky that I'd like. Most of the rest of the procedure was pretty straight forward though.
        I would most definitely use a press for the initial seating and a small hammer for any fine adjustments post seating before leveling/crowning/polishing.

Comment

I think this forum attracts people who like to dig in the dirt a little. I know my own limitations, so I know what I can handle and what I am not comfortable with. But short of being around who does that sort of work, I like to learn about the process from everyone here.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

But where do you go to learn how to level? Or do you just watch a YouTube video? Seems to me you better have a couple of spare necks to practice on. I can change pickups, change pots, replace switches, replace strings, do intonation etc.

But I never learned how to level.

Comment

Originally posted by Napthol View Post
              But where do you go to learn how to level? Or do you just watch a YouTube video? Seems to me you better have a couple of spare necks to practice on. I can change pickups, change pots, replace switches, replace strings, do intonation etc.

Patience is all it takes.

Comment

Originally posted by Napthol View Post

Youtube videos. Then you have to buy a good quality steel level. That is probably the most important thing. And a set of diamond files (cheap on ebay). A roll of adhesive paper. And various grades of polishing pads/paper. Masking tape. You have to devise a neck jig or some way to hold the neck steady so it doesn't flex.

Based on the questions you have been asking about the truss rod, I would recommend you wait a few years before you attempt a level. You need to understand the neck better.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

Youtube videos.

But be careful. There's lots of misinformation on youtube.

Then you have to buy a good quality steel level.

Or, perhaps, extruded aluminum?

You have to devise a neck jig or some way to hold the neck steady so it doesn't flex.

You don't need to worry about the neck flexing if you use gentle pressure (which you should...no need to be a bull in a china shop). Plus, you should use one of these instead of a "level":

Aluminum radius sanding beam for sanding and shaping guitar fingerboard. Availalbe in 7.25", 9.5", 10", 12", 14", 15", 16" and 20" radius

Based on the questions you have been asking about the truss rod, I would recommend you wait a few years before you attempt a level. You need to understand the neck better.
                  You don't have to wait to start learning.
                  Yes, do the research and learn all you can about the neck, then start practicing leveling tomorrow.

Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Or buy that Erlewine book (or others he has for more advanced work) and learn how to do it from an authoritative source.

Larry

Comment

There is always Dan's DVD series.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I found leveling pretty easy and enjoyable.
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                          I found leveling pretty easy and enjoyable.
                          Leveling is the fun part. Crowning is the "is it over yet" part.

Comment

Leveling is the fun part. Crowning is the "is it over yet" part.
                            Not only that, but it's the clearly visible part that will show if you knew what you were doing. MUCH tougher than leveling as well.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post

Not only that, but it's the clearly visible part that will show if you knew what you were doing. MUCH tougher than leveling as well.

Larry
                              I could never do it for a living. It takes as long as it takes. If I was working on a clock I would lose my mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X