No announcement yet.

INGD #5!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugh. That really sucks man. Doesn't speak very highly of LTD. Or Sweetwater.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

They were "playable" but had major issues.

The Sweetwater one in particular bothered me because someone had raised the treble side action very high to make it appear that the problem wasn't as extreme. It might be that these sellers are using me as a way to return to manufacturer. There might be some stipulation that a guitar must be returned by customer some number of times before they can return to manufacturer for a refund.
      Haha ..what intrigue..
      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
        Ugh. That really sucks man. Doesn't speak very highly of LTD. Or Sweetwater.
        I'm rethinking my opinion on the brand.

The two LTDs I have, the M400 has perfect construction, paint, and decent tone with some low growl. Rock solid trem. The only thing I don't like about it is the Pau Ferro fingerboard, and its the reason I don't grab that guitar very much. The wood itself is the right color, but appears to be finished behind some clear satin finish, so the fingerboard ends up looking indistinct, and the tiny dot fretmarkers don't give me much visual feedback. Its such a minor thing but aesthetics matter.

The M1000 needed some fretwork (acceptable), it has some tiny binding imperfections (acceptable), the top wood/veneer has been drinking clear coat so it has a wavy appearance (I know this happens on Suhrs and other guitars, so acceptable but not ideal), and the tone is muted/warm on top, maybe because of the veneer (but it has EMGs so when its plugged in it sounds good.) Has a great feeling/looking neck, rock solid trem, and its a good looking guitar, but its not inspirational.

The M1 customs had great unplugged tone, I loved how they looked, the necks were attractive, but both had severe manufacturing defects. I was hoping to get the M1 custom and then possibly sell one of the others which I don't play as much.

All Sweetwater is doing is photographing the guitars and pretending there is some sort of value added, when all they are doing is the same adjustments that the player would make when receiving it.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

I'm rethinking my opinion on the brand.

The two LTDs I have, the M400 has perfect construction, paint, and decent tone with some low growl. Rock solid trem. The only thing I don't like about it is the Pau Ferro fingerboard, and its the reason I don't grab that guitar very much. The wood itself is the right color, but appears to be finished behind some clear satin finish, so the fingerboard ends up looking indistinct, and the tiny dot fretmarkers don't give me much visual feedback. Its such a minor thing but aesthetics matter.

The M1000 needed some fretwork (acceptable), it has some tiny binding imperfections (acceptable), the top wood/veneer has been drinking clear coat so it has a wavy appearance (I know this happens on Suhrs and other guitars, so acceptable but not ideal), and the tone is muted/warm on top, maybe because of the veneer (but it has EMGs so when its plugged in it sounds good.) Has a great feeling/looking neck, rock solid trem, and its a good looking guitar, but its not inspirational.

The M1 customs had great unplugged tone, I loved how they looked, the necks were attractive, but both had severe manufacturing defects. I was hoping to get the M1 custom and then possibly sell one of the others which I don't play as much.

All Sweetwater is doing is photographing the guitars and pretending there is some sort of value added, when all they are doing is the same adjustments that the player would make when receiving it.
          None of my LTD's have ever been perfect, but I've had a couple of really extraordinary ones. However, I've never had a problem with how they play or sound. My EX that I think is the best LTD I've owned I think I remember having that issue with the fretboard being slightly angled, except not nearly as bad as yours. I'd say like 15-20% of the way yours is. But the guitar setup well, played great with low action (less than 1mm on the treble side), and sounded incredible, so I just let it go. It even had a Pau Ferro fretboard that I know nobody likes, but I still think it's better than the Laurel on my Epiphone (which I don't have a problem with either, TBH).

Click image for larger version

Name:	142449018_10159281037235746_8753596285559731621_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=IbH9Ss74BEEAX8cCCJC&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr3-1.fna&oh=00_AfDFoRfhjWt1_WrWsGdAsd7yRk2IuEeNqaRWU5Jq0AVpGw&oe=65466E36.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	6251812

But you're right. You've had way worse luck with yours. Sucks to hear, man.

Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-05-2023, 11:11 AM.

Comment

I think I've had the same problem with PRS SE's that you've had with LTD's. Everybody says how amazing their QC is, and how they punch above their weight, but mine have all been underwhelming at best.

Comment

I had issues with my PRS SE, too. And it went back.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post

But you're right. You've had way worse luck with yours. Sucks to hear, man.
                Of the four I purchased, two are keepers.

The other two had fundamental build problems, but otherwise were good quality. Leads me to believe they were B or C stock.

Comment

Working...
                X