Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to measure fret height

Hi all,
    So I'm wondering what tool is best to measure fret height. I assume there's a special luthiery tool for it.

My old MIJ Japanese Jacksons from the mid 90s might need a refret by now. They're nickel frets, medium jumbo. I have 60-70 guitars so I don't play any one guitar enough to wear them down, but the frets on my older guitars definitely don't feel tall/new, or skinny/low/vintage, either.

I see the value of stainless frets lasting longer but since they are more expensive to fix than nickel it seems "as broad as it is long" to me. As far as brightness I hear a slight difference between stainless and nickel but I think this tone could be made more cheaply with stainless steel strings on nickel frets.

I have a digital caliper but I assume this isn't as exact as a proper special made fret height tool.

Additionally, can fretboards designed for one fret type/size (Dunlop medium jumbo, for example) accommodate taller frets without modification? I'm leaning toward taller frets to help my mediocre vibrato even though they are rougher on the fingers than smaller frets during slides.

I'm hesitant about a refret because, similar to nut slotting and acoustic saddle modifications, I don't think anyone here knows what they are doing. There are so many MIJ bolt on necks floating around I almost feel better just replacing the entire neck than doing a refret.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Inflames626; 10-05-2023, 02:39 PM.

It occurred to me a steel rule might work also but, again, I assume there's something more exact.

Comment

I use digital calipers to measure fret heights. For me, their easier to use.

Comment

Depth micrometer is what I use. Mine's a Starrett.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0623441-24.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	6251896
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Much thanks ICTGoober . I figured there was some special tool for it.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
            Depth micrometer is what I use. Mine's a Starrett.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0623441-24.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	6251896

Mitutoyo makes some of the best measuring tools around. They're worth the money and I highly recommend them.

Comment

I'm not that fancy. I have a series of guitar picks that I use as feeler gauges.

Comment

I use a digital caliper as well, but you have to be careful to keep it perfectly perpendicular to the board. That depth gauge is probably the best tool for the task, but I imagine it's pretty spendy.

Larry

Comment

I use the digital caliper as well
                  the depth gauge that Goob posted works as well

but your caliper has one on it as well and is just as accurate
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                  X