I have perfected my Strat wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have perfected my Strat wiring

Over the years I've experimented with quite a few Strat wirings and they have all missed the mark slightly, funny thing is I think the factory model wasn't too far off to begin with.

I have a standard 5-way switch with a tone control for the neck and middle pickup, and a master vintage taper (30%) volume. The tone control is 0.01 uF (NOT 0.1 uF) in series with a 4.7k resistor on an audio taper pot. With the tone at 8 it sounds like I have a 30 ft cable, with the tone at 5 it sounds like I have Texas-hot pickups (I have Ant Surfers), with the tone at 3.5ish it's just barely dark enough to where chords don't work too well, and at 0 it's the perfect sound for really dark clean/light OD sounds. With just two pots the volume doesn't get in the way of my hand, all positions except the bridge see 125k of resistance, and I only have to mess with a single tone control. The vintage taper pot is right between linear and audio, but closer to audio. I still haven't tried it in a band setting yet, but I definitely like it better than my usual audio pots in bedroom setting. It's not part of the wiring, but I would like to comment knob pointers are a very useful addition to a Strat.

Obviously this post is not breaking new ground in anyway, but I think it's worth pointing out that many times even though they are less flexible, a simpler wiring scheme is more effective and enjoyable than a more complicated one. I even debated going down to a 3 way switch, but the Surfers had much too good a notched sound to get rid of them.
    Last edited by Chistopher; 10-11-2023, 01:02 PM.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

It took me a while, but I've actually grown to like where the strat volume pot is. I would miss not being able to do volume swells with my pinky if I moved it.

Totally agree about knob pointers though. Any guitar with knobs with numbers on them should have pointers.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I absolutely love where a normal Strat volume is. It is hard for me to play other guitars because of that.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

you covered everything except how the tone control is wired

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          you covered everything except how the tone control is wired
          I simply mislabeled it, I have fixed the original post.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

I like having the master volume handy. It's a little less in the way on PRSs - for me that's the perfect placement.
            But I mostly used superStrats for a long time and it never bothered me being right next to the bridge.
            I do miss that convenience when playing with Gibson type control arrangements.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Might try that cap and resistor in place of a 22 . I have my single tone pot wired as a master to the output 50s style. It is also a Fender no load on 10 . Can't see that this will be adverse to the replacement cap/resistor.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                I like having the master volume handy. It's a little less in the way on PRSs - for me that's the perfect placement.
                But I mostly used superStrats for a long time and it never bothered me being right next to the bridge.
                I do miss that convenience when playing with Gibson type control arrangements.
                I got pretty big hands, so volume swells are no problem for me in the knob 2 strat location. I can't use the full range of the knob and play fast, but that's not what I usually use it for

Comment

Originally posted by Gstring View Post
                  Might try that cap and resistor in place of a 22 . I have my single tone pot wired as a master to the output 50s style. It is also a Fender no load on 10 . Can't see that this will be adverse to the replacement cap/resistor.
                  Yeah 50's wiring won't cause any problems, the smaller cap might however make the inherent 50s wiring interactive pot drawback less obvious, so it may actually help that too.

Comment

Working...
                  X