Capo Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capo Question

I use a capo on the first fret and then press down at the body fret to measure relief right around the 8th fret. I have been putting the capo right on top of the first fret. Is that correct? Or do you put the capo right behind the fret?

It should be close enough that it makes no difference, but put the capo behind the fret, as if you were about to play a song in F
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Capo question? The answer is always NO.

I kid I kid

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
        It should be close enough that it makes no difference, but put the capo behind the fret, as if you were about to play a song in F
        correct.

Comment

Now I've wondered if I should buy a new capo. The kind I have is an elastic band around a cylindrical thing. I bought it around 1979.

Comment

Originally posted by Napthol View Post
            Now I've wondered if I should buy a new capo. The kind I have is an elastic band around a cylindrical thing. I bought it around 1979.
            There are much, much better capos available today.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

there are. but if you are just using it to adjust action, then i wouldnt waste the money. you just need something to push the strings down so they rest on the first fret. if you use a capo for live performance, then there are better options out there for sure. for home use, what you have is just fine.

Comment

I use a Shubb and put it right on the fret and only tighten the pressure enough to simulate finger pressure (e.g. just enough to get clear ringing tone. Putting a capo behind the fret pulls unevenly on the strings. For setting action, it might not make a difference, but I just try to develop good habits in everything, so... yeah, like... whatever, man, that's just my opinion.

Comment

I’ve thought about getting a better capo, then I realize that I use one about once per year playing acoustic.
                  Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                  https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                  Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
                  X