banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easier to plane/refret or buy a new neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easier to plane/refret or buy a new neck?

I have a chinese guitar that the neck has warped in an unfortunate way. I could attempt to replane the board and refret, OR, I could buy a new chinese neck for about $70.

I would have to finish the new neck, drill the neck, and level/crown the frets. Plus probably some other things that haven't occured to me.

Which is more work, in your opinion?

The new neck would be all maple. I don't know how I would go about spraying satin on a neck with frets already installed? Maybe a rub on oil finish? I would leave the headstock without a logo.

New neck is pretty easy to finish if you're going with danish oil or similar. You just rub it on a few times and let it dry, then re-apply every couple years. Can't **** it up if you do thin coats. Levelling/crowing frets is no biggie either, although it can be time consuming. That's the option I'd take.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

do you have the tools you need to fix the old neck?

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
        I have a chinese guitar that the neck has warped in an unfortunate way. I could attempt to replane the board and refret, OR, I could buy a new chinese neck for about $70.

I would have to finish the new neck, drill the neck, and level/crown the frets. Plus probably some other things that haven't occured to me.

Which is more work, in your opinion?

The new neck would be all maple. I don't know how I would go about spraying satin on a neck with frets already installed? Maybe a rub on oil finish? I would leave the headstock without a logo.
        My first question is 'Are you sure the old neck has STOPPED moving?' If not, you could be setting yourself up for perpetual reworking of it.

Larry

Comment

It's not a matter of effort here, it's a matter of whether it is worth it or not to do more work on the current neck vs. getting a new one. What is your time worth?

My opinion; new neck. Rub on finish using an old white t-shirt, then level/crown/polish the frets.

FWIW, and I don't know if this is still the case but it was in the past, Fender would fret the necks, spray the clear on the entire neck, then scrape the finish off the frets before they were worked them. I had a '94 American Standard w/ maple fretboard that was like that.

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post

My first question is 'Are you sure the old neck has STOPPED moving?' If not, you could be setting yourself up for perpetual reworking of it.

Larry
            Thats what I was thinking. It has a ski jump at about the 15th fret, where it gains a lot of relief in a short span. No guarantee it would stop, however no guarantee a new cheap chinese neck (that fits this guitar) wouldn't have same problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
              It's not a matter of effort here, it's a matter of whether it is worth it or not to do more work on the current neck vs. getting a new one. What is your time worth?

My opinion; new neck. Rub on finish using an old white t-shirt, then level/crown/polish the frets.

FWIW, and I don't know if this is still the case but it was in the past, Fender would fret the necks, spray the clear on the entire neck, then scrape the finish off the frets before they were worked them. I had a '94 American Standard w/ maple fretboard that was like that.
              That is why I ask. I think finishing a new neck is less work than planing and refretting, but I'm not sure. Either approach, both necks would need level/crown.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                do you have the tools you need to fix the old neck?
                I would need a radius block. It would be my first refret so I would need those tools. I have done crown/level.

I am going with a new neck and a simple finish.

Comment

Thats what I was thinking. It has a ski jump at about the 15th fret, where it gains a lot of relief in a short span. No guarantee it would stop, however no guarantee a new cheap chinese neck (that fits this guitar) wouldn't have same problem.
                  As far as the warped vs. new neck, I would think of it this way-you KNOW the old one is unstable, and a new one might or might not be. Probably safer to go with the new one, as you're doing.

Larry

Comment

You have cheap Chinese guitar
                    and you want to know if it is better to fix the cheap Chinese neck
                    or replace it with another cheap Chinese neck

Which may or may not develop the same problem

I would get a new Chinese neck

And practice on the old one

Pull the frets
                    Plane it down
                    Refret

If you mess up
                    No harm

Then use those skills to adress the other cheap Chinese neck

EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I would take the strings off, tighten the truss rod, and then hang up the guitar. Neck will straighten out, leave the truss rod tighter when you put new strings on and it might not warp jacked up again.

Also, if you buy a new neck, finish is not required. Less to deal with if you don't care about having a finish.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

I am thinking you would hate a $70 neck.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've purchased $35-50 necks that were perfectly fine, with a tiny bit of touch up. 20 years later, they are still fine.

I'd do like Ehdwuld said...get the new neck and use the old one to develop some skills that could be very very useful in the future.
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                            New neck is pretty easy to finish if you're going with danish oil or similar. You just rub it on a few times and let it dry, then re-apply every couple years. Can't **** it up if you do thin coats. Levelling/crowing frets is no biggie either, although it can be time consuming. That's the option I'd take.
                            How does danish oil feel vs satin neck? I have an air gun, I could spray or rub.

Comment

How does danish oil feel vs satin neck? I have an air gun, I could spray or rub.
                              I like the feel of oil much better. It's more like you're playing directly on the wood . . . because it never really makes a hard finish over the top. It does get dirty faster though, and like I said it needs re-application every few years.
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X