4 screw square neck plate compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 screw square neck plate compatibility

This is probably a question better suited to JCF Online, but I am trying to replace all the satin chrome hardware on a '96 MIJ Jackson Kelly with chrome. I've located all parts but a neck plate.

Dating import Jacksons with serial numbers from this period can be pretty tricky. The numbers aren't in any kind of logical order.

That said, I built my RR3 from parts. I believe the neck plate was from a JS or Kelly and it worked just fine.

The big thing is Akai era Jackson and early Fender era Jackson. Fender took over in 2002, but the designs from roughly 1995-2005 seem pretty consistent.

I've noticed in the past few years they've changed the neck design and pocket, but for this period I think they're all pretty standard square Strat type 4 bolt types.

Do you guys think I would have any issues using a non-Kelly, non-Japanese neck plate with this as long as it's metric?

Thanks.

I could be wrong, but I think they are all pretty standardized. You could measure the bolt spacing on yours so you can be sure to get the right one.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
      I could be wrong, but I think they are all pretty standardized. You could measure the bolt spacing on yours so you can be sure to get the right one.
      Sorry about such a long time replying to this. Yes it seems the screw hole spacing is pretty standard: about 2-2.5" both horizontally and vertically. The black plastic spacers underneath seem hard to find on their own, but I just reused the one under the satin chrome plate.

Getting the neck into the Kelly neck pocket was much easier than it was with my RR3, which was so tight I thought it would not fit. But the Kelly is stable after tightening the screws.

Newer Jackson designs, especially since 2010 or so, seem to be experimenting a lot with the neck joint to get it to be smoother, like a Soloist. I've also seen five and six screw bass necks staggered in unusual ways on other brands. Four bolt square seems a lot easier despite being less comfortable to play.

Perhaps simply using shorter screws and shaving some thickness off the base of the neck would help without affecting stability. I'm more concerned about a neck shifting up and down than front to back.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X