banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Strat modding mode! Come recommend me stuff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Strat modding mode! Come recommend me stuff!

Alright, decided I'm going to do it! So please come suggest me stuff.

1. Neck.

You know my struggle with the guitar's neck. I want to replace it. Ideally, I'd go quartersawn baked maple with a Wizard profile, huge frets, and a 12" fretboard, but that's going to cost me. So I've lowered my expectations. I was thinking Modern C. I would prefer 12" or flatter, but 9.5" is fine. I mean, it's a Strat after all. I would prefer Maple fretboard, but if Pau Ferro/Rosewood is cheaper, I'm alright too.

Things that are a MUST, though: Truss rod adjustment accessible without having to take the neck off, and pre-finished. I don't want to have to finish it myself. Also, if it doesn't need a fret job from the factory would be a BIG plus.

The cheaper, the better, while still being good quality.

2. Pickguard.

I haven't decide if I want H S or H H. But either way, I want a bridge humbucker, and I want that bridge humbucker to be as close to the edge of the pickguard near the bridge as possible. I would also want aged white, one single volume control far away from the bridge pickup, towards the end of the pickguard, and a Fender blade switch. I already have a 500K pot and the 3-way Fender switch for it.

Not sure about aged white, though. Try to convince me otherwise? Maybe black? Pearloid? Tortoise shell?

Also, cheaper is better while still having the features I want.

Also... what color pickups? I'm trying a DiMarzio Super 2 in it this weekend. I'm pretty sure I'll like, though. If not, I'm going to drop a Duncan Custom or JB in it. But not sure if I want black, white, or zebra.

Soooo... opinions?
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 11-10-2023, 12:34 PM.

This is the strat in question:

Click image for larger version

Name:	399971786_10161494884355746_4699267438664826665_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=gAOHiP5rtR8AX_jAYo9&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr3-1.fna&oh=00_AfBzIfBvfO20BccjV8aOR-yfTyYDL6vBwAntjZ3LIGMFtg&oe=6553B2E4.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	6257539

Comment

Beautiful LP there!
      https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post
        Beautiful LP there!
        Thank you! I decided to swap the hardware back to black.

Comment

Swap the neck since there's the issue there, add locking tuners, keep the rest as-is until you play it more and get a better idea of what you want from it or need, if anything.

Get a Warmoth. Vintage/Modern construction. It has the TR adjustment at the headstock. Modern has it at the heel. Anything other than maple/maple will be more expensive. But, worth it. As mentioned in the other thread, if you go with roasted maple, get the moonglow side dots. Both of those choices are an upcharge. Getting a finish on it is an uncharge as well but roasted maple doesn't require finish to keep the warranty.

For the bridge pickup placement, you'll have to see how much room there is to go back from where it is now and the pickguard would most likely need to be custom cut to move it back further. Most makers have a standard template.

Comment

Well, I found this. Seems decent. Though it's not baked Maple and it's 9.5". But then again, this is my beater guitar. I would so get a Musikraft or Warmoth neck, but they can get spendy with the specs I want them to have.

If I can find a good deal on one, I'll look into Warmoth, though.

Comment

Also, looked underneath the pickguard, seems like I'm stuck with an HS pickguard. Only routed for HSS.

No biggie. I can use a full-size hum and an Little '59 or a Quarter Pounder ot a Cool Rails or whatever in the neck.

This is what the body looks like without a pickguard. I think I can get the bridge pickup a bit closer to the bridge than it is right now with the right pickguard:

Name:	zel9bew06doewpcyfauz.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	6257567

Althought, not THAT much closer, though.
              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 11-10-2023, 06:19 PM.

Comment

I was in a similar neck search for one of my strat bodies mod-summer, and I found a Fender Player Plus Strat neck on The Stratosphere. Similar to the link you posted, but the Player Plus necks have a slightly wider 1-11/16" nut, flatter 12" radius, still with a modern "C" shape with medium jumbo frets, and a satin tinted finish. Mine is maple/maple (they also came in pau ferro/maple). I recall paying a little more than $300 for it, and while that's not pocket change, it was still significantly less than a Warmoth neck and it didn't require fret levelling.
                Last edited by MikeS; 11-10-2023, 08:45 PM.
                Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Any cheap squire affinity neck would meet your specs
                  buy the whole twhnolet a pawn shop
                  part out the body

buff the squire logo off
                  Locking tuners and tusqxl nut
                  Done

Put in a standard pickguard with three pot holes

stick a piezo disk to the bottom of the bridge route

Route it to a 100 k pot for volume
                  No tone control needed it wont be bright as it not directly under the bridge

Use independent volumes for the magnetics and piezo

Use five way switch like a 3 pickup guitar

EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

So long as you don’t get 3 Blackout singles, put them in an American Strat and review them before I have a chance.
                    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

i have three blackout singles in a usa hamer daytona, with an emg spc to boot!

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                        Also, looked underneath the pickguard, seems like I'm stuck with an HS pickguard. Only routed for HSS.

No biggie. I can use a full-size hum and an Little '59 or a Quarter Pounder ot a Cool Rails or whatever in the neck.

This is what the body looks like without a pickguard. I think I can get the bridge pickup a bit closer to the bridge than it is right now with the right pickguard:

Name:	zel9bew06doewpcyfauz.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	6257567

Althought, not THAT much closer, though.
                        Yeah, just use a little humbucker in the neck. You can even do a series/parallel mod to it to get a cleaner/clearer sound if you want.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I just got an HS tortoise shell pickguard off Amazon. I hope it fits!

If not and it looks like ****, they're cheap enought. They're like 12 dollars, LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
                            I was in a similar neck search for one of my strat bodies mod-summer, and I found a Fender Player Plus Strat neck on The Stratosphere. Similar to the link you posted, but the Player Plus necks have a slightly wider 1-11/16" nut, flatter 12" radius, still with a modern "C" shape with medium jumbo frets, and a satin tinted finish. Mine is maple/maple (they also came in pau ferro/maple). I recall paying a little more than $300 for it, and while that's not pocket change, it was still significantly less than a Warmoth neck and it didn't require fret levelling.
                            I'll keep an eye out for those! Thing is I'm in Canada, so add at least 30 or 40 dollars more for the shipping.

Oooff. Just checked. 60-70.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                              Any cheap squire affinity neck would meet your specs
                              buy the whole twhnolet a pawn shop
                              part out the body

buff the squire logo off
                              Locking tuners and tusqxl nut
                              Done

Put in a standard pickguard with three pot holes

stick a piezo disk to the bottom of the bridge route

Route it to a 100 k pot for volume
                              No tone control needed it wont be bright as it not directly under the bridge

Use independent volumes for the magnetics and piezo

Use five way switch like a 3 pickup guitar

Honestly, the piezo thing sounds like a good idea! In the future, though. As it is, right now, it's just my beater guitar, and that sounds more of a commitment for a better guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X