banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another easily impressed Gen Z guitarist...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another easily impressed Gen Z guitarist...

Guitar of the Day! Jackson is taking aim at the modern metal market, and this Pro Plus DK Modern Evertune in Gold Sparkle is a HUGE step in the right directi...

"Super modern spec'ed one" apparently means anything with Evertune bridges, Fishman Fluence pickups, stainless steel frets, and a gaudy 1970s paint job.

Consider me unimpressed, Gen Zed.
    Last edited by Inflames626; 11-19-2023, 07:36 PM.

Seems like something you'd play at a strip club. Not something I'd want to rock personally....never been crazy about gold hardware or tops (w/ a few exceptions...this isn't one though)

Also....I don't get why SS frets are such a huge draw? ....didn't miss them on my guitar's before and don't now either..they feel & play/sound exactly like any other frets I've tried. And I don't care for fixed bridges much as well ...Evertune or not....so pass.
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
      Seems like something you'd play at a strip club. Not something I'd want to rock personally....never been crazy about gold hardware or tops (w/ a few exceptions...this isn't one though)

Also....I don't get why SS frets are such a huge draw? ....didn't miss them on my guitar's before and don't now either..they feel & play/sound exactly like any other frets I've tried. And I don't care for fixed bridges much as well ...Evertune or not....so pass.
      SS frets last longer but also cost more to fix. They make sense on a neck thru axe if you want maximum possible time between refrets, but not on a bolt on neck you can just swap. Plus some people, me included, don't like their more metallic tone.

The kids these days are crazy about Evertunes and Fishman Fluence pups. I always thought my neighboring string going out of tune on Floyd Rose bends was kind of a cool, quarter tone effect.

Comment

I am someone sold on SS frets...especially with a scalloped board. It is like playing on ice.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I hate that Agufish guy.

He goes out of his way to say his channel is about Metal and chuggs, and then he raves about how Mark Tremonti, Black Stone Cherry, and Blink 182 are some of his biggest influences. Dude swears Lamb of God is the heaviest thing that has ever happened to music.

I mean, it's not bad to be surface-level into Metal or whatever, but dude is claiming on his videos "this is so Metal, that is so metal". Like... what the **** does he know. Dude has the most normie taste in everything gear-related. Silverburst comes in fashion, he loves it. Evertune comes in fasion, he loves it. Stainless steel comes in fashion, he loves it.

It's not bad to like new stuff either, but it seems like whatever is the new trend, he's always all about it like it's the best thing to have ever happened to guitar. I like Fishman Fluence and whatnot, but it's hard to take his reviews serioiusly when he's either so easily impressed, or he just raves about everything he gets paid to review.
          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 11-19-2023, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
            I hate that Agufish guy.

He goes out of his way to say his channel is about Metal and chuggs, and then he raves about how Mark Tremonti, Black Stone Cherry, and Blink 182 are some of his biggest influences. Dude swears Lamb of God is the heaviest thing that has ever happened to music.

I mean, it's not bad to be surface-level into Metal or whatever, but dude is claiming on his videos "this is so Metal, that is so metal". Like... what the **** does he know. Dude has the most normie taste in everything gear-related. Silverburst comes in fashion, he loves it. Evertune comes in fasion, he loves it. Stainless steel comes in fashion, he loves it.

It's not bad to like new stuff either, but it seems like whatever is the new trend, he's always all about it like it's the best thing to have ever happened to guitar. I like Fishman Fluence and whatnot, but it's hard to take his reviews serioiusly when he's either so easily impressed, or he just raves about everything he gets paid to review.
            This is a group of people who feel driven to stream themselves playing games and feel compelled to watch other people play games for more than a review purpose.

My guess is they are fascinated by their own belly button.

Comment

And...why would someone call themselves Agufish?

Comment

This Agufish dude is at the peak of youtube idiocy within the guitar community. First of all, his constipated 'tone': he always talks as if he needs to go the bathroom really badly. Then, his sheer lack of knowledge. He spews basic stuff and talks about it as if it is in-depth knowledge.

Trogly's guitar 'show' is another one of those nincompoops who just blahs out stupid stuff. Like 'Oh UPS Ruined This Guitar' (why does every word need a capital letter?), and it's just a stress crack in the finish near the headstock, starting that the nut because that's where the stresses have become too great. Simple fix. 'But The Resale Value!' (insert GenZ-whining). Or, 'What About The UV-Lamp Test!".

Since when is it such a crime that a finish has been buffed again? Also, the UV Test on nitro only shows spots of finish that haven't been touched, so if you have a guitar that's like, 5 years old (fairly new), and you rebuff it to blend in the repaired hairline crack (with a drop of thinner to melt the finish back to itself) you wouldn't see a thing because ALL of the finish has been polished.

But no, it's not the hype we're going for.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                  This Agufish dude is at the peak of youtube idiocy within the guitar community. First of all, his constipated 'tone': he always talks as if he needs to go the bathroom really badly. Then, his sheer lack of knowledge. He spews basic stuff and talks about it as if it is in-depth knowledge.

Trogly's guitar 'show' is another one of those nincompoops who just blahs out stupid stuff. Like 'Oh UPS Ruined This Guitar' (why does every word need a capital letter?), and it's just a stress crack in the finish near the headstock, starting that the nut because that's where the stresses have become too great. Simple fix. 'But The Resale Value!' (insert GenZ-whining). Or, 'What About The UV-Lamp Test!".

Since when is it such a crime that a finish has been buffed again? Also, the UV Test on nitro only shows spots of finish that haven't been touched, so if you have a guitar that's like, 5 years old (fairly new), and you rebuff it to blend in the repaired hairline crack (with a drop of thinner to melt the finish back to itself) you wouldn't see a thing because ALL of the finish has been polished.

But no, it's not the hype we're going for.
                  Once YouTube thumbnails started to look like reaction panels from a comic book ten years ago in order to generate false outage and overly emotional clickbait it became difficult to take any of the underlying content seriously.

I feel like anyone born in and after 2000 has a largely impressionistic knowledge about everything that isn't a smartphone app.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post

Once YouTube thumbnails started to look like reaction panels from a comic book ten years ago in order to generate false outage and overly emotional clickbait it became difficult to take any of the underlying content seriously.

I feel like anyone born in and after 2000 has a largely impressionistic knowledge about everything that isn't a smartphone app.
                    The Japanese guitar channels, especially the builders, are amazing. No blah, just professional work. Highly recommend watching those.

Comment

orpheo, could you recommend a Japanese luthier channel for me? Most here know I'm bored with current American retail product. Not enough glossy black pointies or knobs and switches on them for me.

Comment

I get excited with SS frets. They're objectively better. :P
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          I am someone sold on SS frets...especially with a scalloped board. It is like playing on ice.
                          Do your fingers get cold?

Comment

Btw, this dude absolutely trashes Evertune bridges. And this was ten years ago before guitar influencers started pushing them and Fishman.

The bridges seem as complex to set up as a Kahler but offer none of the benefits. They also seem to have a comparable footprint to a Kahler on the guitar.

I'm also not sure how they're going to adjust for intonation issues as you go up the neck simply by raising the saddle, which not only affects the action but also requires a set amount of tension that makes the guitar strings more difficult to bend accurately to pitch. And you have to route the guitar out and have springs in the back--the very thing they were trying to get away from with Floyds in the first place.

Meanwhile the time you spend tuning your TOM or Floyd is a fraction of what you'd spend setting up an Evertune. Even if I had an Evertune, I'd always check tuning first. It's just good practice to do that regardless of the bridge you have.

All of this grew out of 40+ years of people still saying, "How can I avoid a Floyd?"

And my advice is still the same:

1) Buy a quality bridge.
                            2) Know how to set it up.
                            3) Level it while you set it up.

Evertunes solve problems I don't have with my Floyd Roses, and introduce more problems Floyds don't give me.

Meanwhile, hearing Randy Rhoads play rhythm with all his Floyd Rose enabled embellishments will always sound more interesting to me than some kid banging away power chords on a drop tuned 7 string.

If you want your guitar to sound like a keyboard pitch wheel, a fixed bridge guitar is literally less of a guitar, and thus I demote them to tracking rhythms and experimenting with alternate tunings quickly.

It would be interesting to see what gear people would use without the influence of marketing on their psychology.

Edit: also, I'm not sure how the bridge is supposed to compensate for intonation changes when strings themselves age and deteriorate.

Plus, the pitch imperfections and tonal changes in playing in certain parts of the neck vs. others is what gives music its tone and color.

Why would I want a bridge that makes my guitar sound perfectly in pitch no matter where I am on the neck and what I do with my fingers?

True Temperament frets would seem to be a much better solution for intonation issues. They just don't look that easy to install or repair.

I feel like this bridge is meant for people who play very heavy handed and don't have a lot of control over their technique. It's the same philosophy I have with people using string mutes like hair scrunchies when tapping--instead of relying on something as a crutch just practice more so you don't make extraneous noise.
                            Last edited by Inflames626; 11-20-2023, 11:57 AM.

Comment

I can see the benefits of an Evertune bridge in a professional recording scenario. I think it's common practice when recording in a professional environment to check tuner before each take. It would save A LOT of time knowing you can skip this step.

Even the most stable guitar I've owned (my old RG570 with the Edge Trem before it broke and I had to swap it for a Schaller Floyd) did need some very slight touch ups here and there every three or so takes. It's kind of unavoidable when you beat on the strings in a hot room.

I agree that iffy pitch here and there on guitar is just a natural part of the instrument because of imperfect intonation, but not being in tune if you can help it is just kinda unprofessional and slightly negligent, IMO. Keep in mind, I only really think that's the case that's if I'm doing any serious recording that I wanna show off. Of course, that's JMO, so please don't take this as an agression. I'm a tune freak. I'm the kind of jackass that used to step on his tuner pedal in between every song when playing live just to make sure. Hell, I even own four different tuner pedals, LOL.

That being said, for me who don't have any immediate plans of recording with Fredrik Nordstrom, I'm fine with my roller Tune-O, Graphtech nut, nut sauce, and locking tuners, thank you. Especially since if I understand correctly how the Evertune works, is just like maintaining 6 individual little Floyds in your guitar. And yeah, no. There's a reason why I stay away from Floyds.
                              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 11-20-2023, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X