Vintage MIJ Tune-o-Matic peg issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage MIJ Tune-o-Matic peg issue

Hey all, I recently bought a 1973 Shaftesbury SG custom, I noticed thay the TOM pegs are way too small for the peg holes in the bridge. At first I thought this was because all sorts of parts must have been cannibalized during the guitar's life but I found some photos and looks like this is the original bridge and studs (haven't taken it apart yet, waiting on a set of strings to arrive). Anybody has any experience with a bridge like that? Given that there is a chance for the bridge to move around, how is the intonation set and kept? Should I look for a new bridge or studs that fit better? The strings do provide pressure so it stays where it should, but I can definitely move it around a bit. Photo attached.

Thanks!

I would want to replace that with something that fits up right. It kinda looks like someone dropped a Nashville bridge onto ABR-1 posts. Measure everything, you might be stuck with those posts but you should be able to find a bridge that fits them.
    Take it to the limit
    Everybody to the limit
    Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Those look small even for ABR-1 posts. I'd measure them, and if they are smaller, and they are screwed into the body like ABR-1, I'd get real ABR-1 posts and replace them. If it's something like an aftermarket ABR-1 bridge that was made to sit on Nashville posts, then I'd want Nashville-sized posts to replace them. The problem will be whether the posts screw directly into the body, or there are studs hammered into the body that the posts screw into.

Comment

Yea, it does look like a random Nashville TOM bridge dropped on ABR1 posts, but they aren't ABR1 posts. I had one of these about 10 years ago that I modded, including replacement of the bridge and I remember it having bushings. Now I'd want to keep it as original as possible, but obviously useable as well. This photo from another guitar looks to have the same style bridge, that's why I assume it came like this from the factory but I can't fathom how it's kept intonated if it can move around - although I obviously have to push on it properly to move.
        I guess I could replace it with an old MIJ bridge to get close, or just try and replace the posts. Or someone who know these can tell me how to handle them, lol.

Comment

Looks like an ABR-1 bridge, because it has the retaining wire on the saddles. But it does look wider like a Nashville. If the company made it, it could be a strange hybrid. But if it's Nashville sized holes and has bushing in the body, then I'd just replace with Nashville posts.

Comment

Working...
          X