banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Permanent Way to Darken or "Ebonize" a Rosewood Fretboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This, in Dark Walnut plus some masking tape

Click image for larger version

Name:	81JwOCMd34L.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	6261642
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Montypresso works well on actual rosewood, darkens it several shades - and you can do repeat applications if desired.
      It's been hit-or-miss for me on pau ferro, perhaps depending on the tightness of the grain and how it was treated in the factory.
      Worked nicely for me on one pau ferro board but hardly did anything on another.

Stew-Mac also sells a fretboard darkening oil - not the dye for ebonizing, a separate product for darkening.
      You can make your own using ith a light grade of mineral oil ('white oil' or lamp oil) and some artist's oil paint.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        This, in Dark Walnut plus some masking tape

Click image for larger version

Name:	81JwOCMd34L.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	6261642
        But it's pretty tuff to mask off inlays. (Actually it's impossible).
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

The hard part is NOT darkening the fretboard. There are many products to choose from and some will even work on oily boards.
          The hard/impossible part is keeping the inlays bright. Doesn't matter whether they are pearl, pearloid, plastic, clay, etc. I've tried carefully waxing the inlays, which definitely kept them from absorbing any stain, but it's impossible to get the wax perfectly/completely/only on the inlays.

Comment

I wonder if you could just scrape the top off the inlays after dying to expose bright material again.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Rarely have I had anything mess up the inlays but I guess if you leave anything on long enough it could stain

I usually use a stain and then once that has dried I'll seal the board with watco oil

Works better than most things I have tried but I'd recommend trying it on a scrap piece of wood to see how it works for you. Also clean the board before you apply anything, that'll help it retain the color

Rosewood is an oil-y wood and doesn't really take stain all that well
              My Bands -
              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

But it's pretty tuff to mask off inlays. (Actually it's impossible).
                Just use inlay decals. The little red/blue/green etc pearlescent stickers. Perfect mask for dots.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                  Montypresso works well on actual rosewood, darkens it several shades - and you can do repeat applications if desired.
                  It's been hit-or-miss for me on pau ferro, perhaps depending on the tightness of the grain and how it was treated in the factory.
                  Worked nicely for me on one pau ferro board but hardly did anything on another.

Stew-Mac also sells a fretboard darkening oil - not the dye for ebonizing, a separate product for darkening.
                  You can make your own using ith a light grade of mineral oil ('white oil' or lamp oil) and some artist's oil paint.
                  Espresso isn't bad either. . . .
                  it really 'amps' up your fretwork.
                  Last edited by solspirit; 12-07-2023, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Just use inlay decals. The little red/blue/green etc pearlescent stickers. Perfect mask for dots.
                    That's not a bad idea. Didn't think of that.

Comment

Working...
                    X