banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement saddles for Fender Mexican Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement saddles for Fender Mexican Strat?

I hate the bent steel saddles on my Strat. They fit very loosely together, and the wiggle a lot. When I change the strings, the action on some of the strings seems to be off, and I have to readjust.

I tried to drop the brass saddles from my Gotoh Tele bridge in, but they were too big, and they didn't fit. I suppose it's because they're the same measurement as the American bridges?

So... is it 10.5 mm?

Also... if I want a little bit midrange punch/twang, brass is the way to go, right?

Thanks!

Get sone roller saddles from GFS
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I used Graphtec in my MIM. i've never had to adjust the height after changing strings, and when I set the intonation, it stays where I put it. MIM are closer together, so can't use American width saddles. Also there are some with offset intonation screws, so you have to check if yours are centered through the back of the saddle or offset to one side.

Comment

These are centered. I wanna get the Graphtech saddles as they're made close by, but at the same time I read they dull out the tone rather than make it edgier and more aggressive.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
          Get sone roller saddles from GFS
          I like GFS, but being up north, I think it gets more expensive than what it's worth, sadly.

Comment

The guy wants brass and you knuckleheads immediately recommend different materials lol.

Yes, get brass, it has the tone.

If you don't want the saddle heights to move then use a tad of blue locktite on the screws. It'll keep them set but you can move them later if you need to.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

I dont understand how changing the strings affects the saddle height

Describe your string changing technique, please

Edit

Oh the floating trem and strings stretch

That should be a spring adjustment until it settles in

EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Changing strings can affect saddle height. I never have been able to understand it either. But I have seen my saddles get lower on one side during a string change. It's like the tiny allen screws start to move and it throws off the saddle height.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                  The guy wants brass and you knuckleheads immediately recommend different materials lol.

Yes, get brass, it has the tone.

If you don't want the saddle heights to move then use a tad of blue locktite on the screws. It'll keep them set but you can move them later if you need to.
                  He cited several problems and I cited what I did to solve them. Forum discussion, 101.

Comment

I'm not sure what moves, but since the saddles are so loose against each other, a lot of things move every time I change the strings.

The trem is not floating. It's decked against the body with 5 springs and the claw screwed almost all the way in.

It's just the saddles are really bad. I'm not sure if the height screws are going bad or what, and the fact that they wiggle a lot because they don't fit snug doesn't help.

Then again, I'm sure it's not that the trem needs the American wider saddles and someone used the Mexican narrower saddles in it, because the Gotoh saddles I have did not fit. I doubt Gotoh would make saddles even wider than the American standards.
                    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 12-10-2023, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Maybe it's a design flaw from Leo Fender?

Comment

Here's some solid brass saddles that will fit your bridge (10.5mm)...

If you will ever use your trem, then roller saddles are your best bet (I actually like roller saddles even for my fixed bridges)...

You can find them cheaper, as low as $10-15. I'm not sure of their quality.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I have gone down this route. You change the saddles, then the block, then the new springs...I would suggest dropping in a new bridge if you are unhappy with the stock Fender.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                            I have gone down this route. You change the saddles, then the block, then the new springs...I would suggest dropping in a new bridge if you are unhappy with the stock Fender.
                            I'm not, really. The bridge is OK. I don't use the trem. The baseplate is steel. The block is zinc, but meh. It's not like the guitar sounds bad as-is. It's just the saddles that keep moving.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                              Here's some solid brass saddles that will fit your bridge (10.5mm)...

If you will ever use your trem, then roller saddles are your best bet (I actually like roller saddles even for my fixed bridges)...

You can find them cheaper, as low as $10-15. I'm not sure of their quality.
                              Thanks!

I had a Schaller roller bridge on my Les Paul, but I went back to the stock aluminum bridge on the Gibson. The rollers were great, but the rest of the bridge was pot metal and sounded... different... from the stock Al bridge.

Comment

Working...
                              X