How to maximize a Tele's classic twang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to maximize a Tele's classic twang

I just got a 20-year-old used Tele; it's my first Telecaster, so I want to make sure I maintain that classic sound. Does anyone have any pointers like on how to set it up like action and strings? Thanks!

DON'T YOU DARE ROLL DOWN THAT TONE POT!! That's the twang-killer!

If it has a modern 6-saddle bridge I'd recommend changing to a bridge with 3 compensated brass saddles. I'd start there before changing the pickups, then change the pickups if you're still not satisfied. Swapping the capacitor from .047 to .022 is a popular mod. It won't make the guitar any brighter but it will make the tone less dark when the tone knob is rolled all the way down.

Action is preferential, whatever is comfy for you. I'd get the bridge pickup fairly close to the strings, make sure there's still clearence when you press the string on the last fret.
    "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Also, pick/pluck the strings close to the bridge saddles. Don't pick anywhere else if you want maximum twang! (couldn't edit first post, keep getting 403 error)
      "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Fender_Punk View Post
        Also, pick/pluck the strings close to the bridge saddles. Don't pick anywhere else if you want maximum twang! (couldn't edit first post, keep getting 403 error)
        Awesome, thank you! As a new Tele owner, I had no idea about all of this!

Comment

Originally posted by Fender_Punk View Post
          DON'T YOU DARE ROLL DOWN THAT TONE POT!! That's the twang-killer!
          My Esquire came stock wired to a switch that in one position completely bypass the tone pot. IMO, it just all-around sounded better in that position, so I just wired it straight to a single volume pot.

But at the same time, I feel any pickup sounds better not wired to a tone pot, LOL.

Comment

Working...
          X