banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you have your guitar set up at a major chain or a local guitar shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you have your guitar set up at a major chain or a local guitar shop?

Would you have your guitar set up at a major chain (like guitar center) or a local guitar shop? I live in the NY area so I have a lot of options. Don't know if it matters or if you benefit from a place like guitar center since they will have one dedicated person doing setups all day.

My general philosophy is buy from the smallest company that is able to suit my needs.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I'd rather set it up myself.

If it's something I can't do like nut slotting, fret work, or adjusting an acoustic bridge, whichever one has staff who are more skilled at what they are doing.

Unfortunately, in my area small shops have closed, which means there are only larger chains long commutes away.

Comment

+1 for doing the work yourself, but if you're around NYC, there should be plenty of small shops who would do a great job. Taking a guitar into GC is a crapshoot. Some of their employees know what they're doing and take pride in it, some of them don't. Not worth taking the chance in my opinion.
        Take it to the limit
        Everybody to the limit
        Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

I do it myself now, but before that, it all depends on who's working there.

Comment

The guitar could land in the hands of a very skilled or hack luthier at either location. That said, I always go local if it is work I can not do or do not want to do. I check out the luthier's Yelp reviews and Facebook posts. I had to do this recently, seeing my guy retired. The advantage of a smaller shop is you get to talk with the luthier and tell them precisely what you want and expect. With a chain, the work is not being done on-site, so you do not have the opportunity to talk to the technician. Also, most chains are farming out the job to a local mom-and-pop shop. You end up paying more for the job and have to wait longer to get you axe back while it changes hands.

Comment

Guitar Center has a well deserved reputation for hackery and stupidity among their "techs", so I cannot recommend them.
              All else - go by reputation. Ask around - the real players know who is competent and experienced.
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by unleashthejay View Post
                I live in the NY area so I have a lot of options.
                If you are in the city Wattage can introduce you to the right people.

Comment

I fully sympathize with GC employees who are often kids and young adults starting out and doing something music related while they try to make ends meet with their own music.

That said, people in that situation are not luthiers, so I am always nervous taking my stuff to them.

Your best (if most expensive) option if it's a critical, difficult repair on an important guitar is to ship it to Sweetwater's techs if you are in the central or Southern US away from a major metro.

They stripped and repainted my poly gloss black Kramer Assault and it looks brand new. They install complicated electronics like Graphtech Ghost systems. They even Plek.

That said, shipping a guitar is a PITA. Sweetwater's prices can be high as well (the repaint of the front was $500), but considering the quality work you are getting it is fair.

Comment

Something else to consider about guitar repair is, with so many imported, used instruments, it often makes more sense to buy a used guitar than making an expensive repair that will nosedive resale value.

I rarely if ever build a guitar that costs more than $1000-1200, and if there are any with major damage (chipped corners, etc.), I keep them only for my own use and don't try to flip them at a big loss. The listener won't be able to hear how my guitar looks.

Comment

Guitarists should use a lack of luthier access to learn how to do at least three things:

1) Set a truss rod.

2) Set the action.

3) Intonate the guitar.

Another desirable is enough soldering knowledge to make sure a 2 humbucker, 3 way toggle, master volume only guitar at least will work come show time.

This is another reason why, for metal guys like me, I recommend active pickups with a master volume only as a #1 live guitar. Easier to install with fewer steps than passives, IMO, and they tend to be plug and play. Most metal guys are going to be at 100% volume on bridge pickup 95% of the time anyway. Passive guitars with complex wiring options are more flexible and difficult to install so I save them for studio use.

For Floyded players, they need to know the crucial step of leveling the bridge and setting the spring claw, something that seems glossed over and leads to way more frustration than is justified. If they understood this step I think non-Floyded players who want to try them would more readily embrace Floyds instead of treating them like 9th graders treat first year algebra.

Considering I like a lot of different tunings/pickup combinations on Floyded guitars, I spend more time setting up than actually playing.

But yeah, doing your own setup is like changing your own car's oil. That said, I don't even change my own oil. I don't trust jack stands. Or GC techs.

Comment

When I first got into guitar it costs about $10 for a pack of strings at the local store and $25 if you wanted the store to string your guitar up for you.

Being the frugal miser that I am I decided to save myself $15 every time I needed a strong change by learning to do it it myself. From there, I learned how to set action and intonation as well as how to adjust the truss rod.

I imagine that little bit of knowledge and effort has saved me hundreds if not over $1,000 over the years.
                        "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

A way I save money is I don't use new strings unless I'm recording. I'm not concerned about the sound quality of my practicing, and I like the sound of slightly worn in strings, especially on bass. I have several guitars with strings that are 10-20 years old still on them.

Comment

I've had my guitars set up at L&M because they include it when you buy a new guitar.

So far, they've done a good job, especially with fretwork.

I do, however, always alway always set the action and relief up myself. I'm kinda picky about it, and well, nobody knows how I like my guitar to feel better than myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
                              Guitarists should use a lack of luthier access to learn how to do at least three things:

1) Set a truss rod.

2) Set the action.

3) Intonate the guitar.
                              ALL guitar players should learn this even if they are living with a Luthier.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X