banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refurb'd Washburn A20 (with ? about puckups)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refurb'd Washburn A20 (with ? about puckups)

I picked up a trashed Washburn A20 for $20 on FB marketplace a few moths ago. It had a crack running halfway down neck, big chunk missing from the neck, holes sloppily drilled for controls and switches, and some big gouges on the corners. I thought it would be a fun winter project, and wouldn't be a big loss it it wasn't salvageable.

After stripping the paint, I plugged the various holes, leveled the fretboard and installed new frets. I took it from 4 knobs to 2 and moved the switch to the lower body. It's not perfect, but this thing sounds and plays wonderfully.

With all that said, I have questions about the pickups. I didn't want to buy a new bridge pickup (neck was swapped post-pic to a DD HB103n with an A4. Perfection!) and I didn't have any complete SDs on hand, but I had a Custom and a JB that each had a bad coil. No idea why I didn't think of this year's ago, but I combined the two and used the JBs A5. It sounds gnarly. It's quite a bit more pronounced in the high end and has tight lows. I'm trying to tame the highs a bit and am not sure what's contributing most to the sound. The guitar has a maple neck-through and ash sides.

I'm guessing the maple plays a big factor, but hoping that maybe a magnet swap will help. I have an RCA5, UOA5 and A4 on hand. I can also use the longer screws from the JBs dead coil. Hoping to tame the highs a bit, add a little low end and keep it powerful. It'll mostly be used for melodic death metal, I love some low-mid thump on palm muted chugs.

I'd try the RCA5, and if that doesn't tame it enough, try to secure an A2. Also, use your tone knob.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Tone knobs helps, but doesn't fix altogether. Maybe a 250k volume pot would be a good combo with a mag swap?
      Last edited by posite63; 12-12-2023, 04:29 PM.

Comment

id put the uoa5 in and see what ya think

Comment

Working...
        X