One more neck question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more neck question

On the neck I built from scratch I got it all set-up and playable but it definitely is a bit wonky. I took it in to a local shop and they showed me with the notched straight-edge that the bass side has a bigger bow than the treble side. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to tweak a few things to make it more playable or if this is as good as it gets.

My best guess is that I could go back in and re-level the frets to try and get things more lined up but ehh.....I don't know? Any ideas? Thanks!

It depends on how bad it is. You could try levelling the frets and see if it fixes the problem (enough). I've had to do that a couple times. If fret levelling doesn't fix it then the only alternative would be to remove the frets and level the fretboard then refret it.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Asymmetrical string tension can cause that on a perfectly fine neck. I'd eliminate that as a cause before you do more work hacking at your neck. Try a balanced tension set.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

If regular strings cause that, and if the asymmetric/balanced strings fix it, then that indicates it WASN'T "a perfectly fine neck" and you need a new neck. A good neck should not react that much.

And, there are MILLIONS of guitars with standard string sets that don't do that, so it's probably not the CAUSE. But it may be a contributing symptom of the real problem with the neck.

Don't waste money on an expensive set of strings that are NOT going to do anything to FIX the problem. Even if it does help, at best you're stuck with using balanced strings for the rest of the guitar's life.

Just fix the PROBLEM and continue to use the strings that you like best.
        Last edited by GuitarDoc; 12-15-2023, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Besides, the purpose of balanced tension strings is for the feel, especially for players that bend their strings a lot, it's not to correct problems with warped or weak necks.
          Last edited by GuitarDoc; 12-15-2023, 07:42 AM.

Comment

I think I'll try a fret level first. I already yanked these frets off once and just can't bring myself to do that again right now. Thanks all. I'll report back

Comment

Well, the fret level IS the right first thing to try.

Look at it this way...you are gaining a lot of knowledge and experience and some expertise about necks. That's huge and it's all good.

Comment

haha for sure. The journey and learning is why I keep at it. Lord knows I don't need another guitar on top of the 20 or whatever I have. I just like building them.

so on the fret level..........if my bass side is flat while my treble side has relief..........am I just doing a normal fret level? Or am I trying to shave down the bass side only to get it closer to even with the treble side?

Comment

Use a radius block and sight it the best you can to get it symmetrical. Focus on an area if it's high. Make sure the neck itself is perfectly straight first.
                  Last edited by Clint 55; 12-15-2023, 03:21 PM.
                  The things that you wanted
                  I bought them for you

Comment

thanks!

Comment

This is what you need...

Aluminum radius sanding beam for sanding and shaping guitar fingerboard. Availalbe in 7.25", 9.5", 10", 12", 14", 15", 16" and 20" radius

Comment

yep. got one of those that I used to shape the fretboard initially. Although mine is not a full 20". I think it's like 9". But yea, same same. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
                          yep. got one of those that I used to shape the fretboard initially. Although mine is not a full 20". I think it's like 9". But yea, same same. Thanks!
                          I've used the shorter blocks and they can work, but one that covers the fretboard entirely makes it much-much-easier to end up with a flat (straight) board. That and the pencil trick make getting the board about perfect almost easy.

Larry

Comment

The 9" blocks are definitely cheaper, especially if you've got a wood block, and they're ok to start with, but to get the neck/board perfectly flat, you need a long (18-20") block. Plus, the ones I use and linked to above are extruded aluminum with a machined radius so they won't warp or lose their shape.

Comment

Had some time today and radiused the frets and all that comes with it...........what a difference. So so much better. No buzzing. Plays great. Thank you internet friends!

Comment

Working...
                              X