Truss-Rod Horror | Am I tripping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truss-Rod Horror | Am I tripping?

Hi, got an old (has Schaller made in w.germany) custom build guitar; dont know who built it or when...
    The trussrod was normally adjusted by me, tightening with clockwork motion.
    Then the neck bend more backwards, as if string gauge had increased.
    If i try counter-clockwise, the nut of the truss-rod comes off...
    Is this faulty install?
    (The truss rod nut is underneath the neck pickup, pulling it wont work ;-/ )

Posting some photos might help us understand what's going on.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Definitely something wrong.

Pics will help.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Hello, im a bit confused now; what would you like to have a photo of? I could try to adjust the truss rod and then make a photo of how the neck bends backwards like a banana or when the guitar has too much tension on the strings.
        Would you like a photo from the truss rod nut (next to the neck humbucker)?

Imagining installing a truss-rod, if i flip the tross-rod by 180°(circular looking onto the nut) and it is one-way, then i could make the bow that pushes by engaging face in the opposite direction, isn't it?
        Last edited by AlexS7320; 01-09-2024, 04:20 AM.

Comment

I know what you're going through. Gibson uses a 5/16" acorn nut on their truss rod ends. Made in Germany yours may be metric but anyways. I have to assume that your neck is over tightened. The truss rod nut tightens in the same direction as the truss rod pulls away from your string tension. If you had too much relief you would be cranking into the nut threads. If your truss rod is too tight and you back it off, you might break the nut loose from the rod. What you can try is physically push the neck in the direction you want it to go as you turn the truss rod. Putting pressure on the neck will relieve some of the pressure on ypur truss rod, allowing you to crank the truss rod back without spinning the truss rod end. If that doesn't work, try a little teflon tape, reinstall the nut and repeat the above remedy. If all else fails take your baby to the Doctor. A pro will figure it out.
          www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
          www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
          http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by AlexS7320 View Post
            The trussrod was normally adjusted by me, tightening with clockwork motion.
            Then the neck bend more backwards, as if string gauge had increased.
            I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. If you increase string gauge the string tension will increase and will tend to bend the neck more forward.

If i try counter-clockwise, the nut of the truss-rod comes off...
            That makes it sound like the truss rod is too short for the pocket.
            You might want to take the nut off and see if there is another nut underneath (or maybe a washer or several) that you can remove. the pocket may have to be shortened to allow the nut to "grab" more of the threads. If this is something that you are not up to, then you need to take it to a luthier (I mean a REAL luthier, not an amateur tech who claims to be a luthier).

Comment

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. If you increase string gauge the string tension will increase and will tend to bend the neck more forward.​
              well, the headstock will bend more forward; yes, thats what i ment.

That makes it sound like the truss rod is too short for the pocket.
              You might want to take the nut off and see if there is another nut underneath (or maybe a washer or several) that you can remove. the pocket may have to be shortened to allow the nut to "grab" more of the threads. If this is something that you are not up to, then you need to take it to a luthier (I mean a REAL luthier, not an amateur tech who claims to be a luthier).​
              Ill check whats underneath the nut. What i want ot avoid is to remove the fretboard to flip the truss-rod (not start and end of rod, but up and down direction)

What you can try is physically push the neck in the direction you want it to go as you turn the truss rod.
              i tried that when the nut was loosened and then the few first rotations of nut, the truss-rod doesnt flip its direction when i apply bending force. after tightening the nut a little bit, bending the neck becomes unthinkable.

I dont quite get the logic yet. Isnt a truss-rod a bi-metal? one side has different properties than the other, and if someone installed the fretboard-pointing side downwards, it should be considered a "monday-build" ? or can truss-rods really flip-flop into opposite direction?

Comment

Once the neck has bent backwards
                tightened nut increases back bow

Let off the nut
                Or in your case remove it

Set it in the clamp and block method
                Described by Dan earlwine
                you tube the video
                Of stewmac truss rod adjusting

Force it forward
                and string it

Strings will hold it forward
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I dont quite get the logic yet. Isnt a truss-rod a bi-metal? one side has different properties than the other, and if someone installed the fretboard-pointing side downwards, it should be considered a "monday-build" ? or can truss-rods really flip-flop into opposite direction?
                  No, truss rods aren't "bi-metal" in the normally applied sense. They are two pieces of the same metal...a flat piece on top and a round rod on the bottom. They are welded together at one end and have a nut at the other which increases or decreases the tension on the rod relative to the flat bar. This is what causes it to bend. They can't be installed in any position other than how they are supposed to go.

Comment

Working...
                  X