NGD (coming soon)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD (coming soon)

The Black Friday sale was too good, and I needed a new performing acoustic guitar. Thing is, in Florida, it gets really hot and humid and can get really cold and humid. Gigs are almost always outside or when inside, it is crazy air conditioning.

My needs for an acoustic are different than most. Most normal dread-shaped guitars are too big, and even smaller parlors can dig into my ribs and forearm. When choosing a performing acoustic, plugged in sound is the only thing I care about. That is what I hear onstage, and that is what the audience hears. So in the past, I've used things like a Line 6 Variax Acoustic (sounds great, but you need a bulky external power supply) and a Godin Multiac Steel Duet Ambience, which can sound great. But not all the time. Most of the time, it sounds thin and tinny plugged-in, certainly capturing the acoustic sound of the guitar.

So, I've been on the lookout for a small, thin-bodied acoustic that I could play for 4 hours and not be in pain, and sounds amazing plugged in. And, it has to be impervious to temperature and humidity.

So, I ordered a custom-made carbon fiber guitar from Emerald after playing 2 of them locally. Yeah, they look weird, and yeah, they aren't a Martin, Taylor, or Breedlove, but they aren't supposed to be. Besides, I've heard all 3 of those brands with pickup systems that sound terrible through a PA, even though the guitars themselves sounded amazing. So, I chose a model with a blend-able 2 pickup system: a humbucker in the neck, and Graph-Tech piezos (with Strat style saddles!) in the bridge. I can send each pickup to its own channel. Their website has a virtual builder and I didn't go for fancy wood tops or anything...I love the look of plain carbon fiber.

I ordered this Black Friday weekend, and it was built and shipped, but hasn't arrived. However, Emerald photographs every guitar they custom build, so I have great pics. So, this is my exact guitar:

Click image for larger version

Name:	970200033.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	6266183

Here is the webpage, if you want to zoom in.

Also, since they build just a few guitars a week, they always do a shipping video. This is my guitar, and I am 'David from Florida':

It should show up the week I am in LA at NAMM, but we'll see.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Needs a Floyd...

J/k..not an acoustic player but if I was I'd have strong GAS for one of these. LOVE the look of them ..more like (a weird) electric than an acoustic..

Congrats...enjoy
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Dave, have you ever tried a Yamaha Silent Guitar? You don't have to worry about the acoustic sound because there isn't one. But the amplified sounds are very good. I have one of the first generation steel string offerings, and it has a piezo under the bridge plus a sampled sound. You can mix the two, and the guitar even has built in effects. Of course, you can add whatever you like in the signal chain. As far as I'm concerned - this is the way to go.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Very cool! Can't wait to see you playing it.
        What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Very cool! That puts any fear of it being an Iceman to rest.

Why not an Ovation Shallow Body? Although I think I know the answer...
          Last edited by Aceman; 01-10-2024, 08:24 AM.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Acoustsonic wouldn't work?

Looks great
            I saw a video where KDH went on a factory tour

They have some beautiful instruments
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
              Dave, have you ever tried a Yamaha Silent Guitar? You don't have to worry about the acoustic sound because there isn't one. But the amplified sounds are very good. I have one of the first generation steel string offerings, and it has a piezo under the bridge plus a sampled sound. You can mix the two, and the guitar even has built in effects. Of course, you can add whatever you like in the signal chain. As far as I'm concerned - this is the way to go.
              Actually, I liked the nylon Silent Guitar better than the Steel, but both were neck heavy.

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
              Acoustsonic wouldn't work?

Looks great
              I saw a video where KDH went on a factory tour

They have some beautiful instruments
              The Acoustisonics I tried were also neck heavy. Actually, they were kinda heavy guitars all around. The sound was pretty good...a little plinky, but usually outboard EQ can help that.

Comment

Just thinking out loud but have you tried playing with your guitar on your left leg, classical style but you can level it. That will get the body out of your ribs. It may take an adjustment peroid but it may work. Or you could eat a cheeseburger you skinny bastich! Sorry bro but I'm silly!
                www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
                www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
                http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Dave, I love everything about it...all carbon, thin, dual pups, option for stereo, light weight. Great choice for Florida.

I love seeing different types/styles of guitars that are functional, practical, and esthetic.
                  Congrats.

Is it the 25.5" scale?
                  1 11/16" width nut?
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                    Needs a Floyd...
                    Like a hole in the head. A Bigsby superglued to the headstock would be a better choice.

(Yeah, I know, you were just kidding. I'm just having fun.)

Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                      Dave, I love everything about it...all carbon, thin, dual pups, option for stereo, light weight. Great choice for Florida.

I love seeing different types/styles of guitars that are functional, practical, and esthetic.
                      Congrats.

Is it the 25.5" scale?
                      1 11/16" width nut?
                      Yes, to both. According to tracking, it left London on a plane this morning, so I might get it within a week.

Comment

I'm in love with these guitars.

Comment

That's a sweet guitar. I'm pretty intrigued with the use of alternate materials to wood for guitar building.

Comment

That looks fantastic, I’m going to check the company out as I’d never heard of them! Looking forward to your review.

Comment

One of my old roomies (back in the 80's) owns several Emerald Guitars. He doesn't do normal.
                              Kevin Kastning | Facebook
                              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
                              X