New Gutar Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Gutar Day!

This one is a pretty rare bird. It's a 2008 Carvin SH 60. True semi hollow body and is super lightweight, with a maple neck through the body, book matched maple top, alder body wings, ebony board with stainless frets. This one has some unique sweet tones with real attitude and is just a fantastic player. These for whatever reason were only built for a couple of years, then replaced with a set neck model, the ST6, that is very PRS like. Most of these were built with the synth system and Pizio feature as an SH 65 there were very few SH 60 with conventional electronics and pickups built, this one is a 3 way with a master volume and tone with a split in the tone pot. This was a transition model that came out right as the company name was changing from Carvin to the original Kiesel family name. It's basically a Carvin AE 185 with an M bridge and conventional electronics. This one is definitely is a keeper guitar and should see a lot of on stage play time!
    Last edited by Ascension; 01-12-2024, 01:05 AM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

This is my sub 6 LBS AE 185 which is a unique guitar in its own right. The SH 60 is not that super light, but is sub 7 LBS. The new SH has a superfast neck, a ton of sustain and a unique tone. With the issues I have in my back and neck, it also will be very easy to play a long set with, which is why I jumped on it. What I didn't expect was how huge this thing sounds at gain and how alive it is with that semi hollow body and the M bridge. Think vintage Nugent Birdland tones on Steroids.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Well, this SH 60 continues to surprise me. Really versatile guitar was some really cool tones. By far the best sounding Carvin I have ever played with C 22 pickups. I had expected to have to change them, but nope it's staying stock. Haven't put it down since I got it. This live clip is as raw as it gets with a small group I play with a couple of times a month. No PA just my little Mesa Subway running only a little Verb and Delay in the loop the SH 60 and the key player's Casio board internal speakers, and a pair of acoustics plus the singers. The tones from the recording surprised me. At 7 LBS flat with these tones plus it plays like a dream, this one's definitely a keeper!! Really blown away by this one, it's too bad these are no longer built by Carvin Kiesel.

Guitars

Comment

i liked those when they came out. never really liked the c22 pups and the neck wasnt chunky enough for me, but they played great.

Comment

I liked the AE 185 I played years ago
          I like the Carvin take on a Tele
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The SH60 looks sweet. I'm surprised by the size of the control cavity cover given that it's just a vol/tone control.

Comment

Working...
            X