banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best mid-priced electric guitar that sounds like an acoustic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best mid-priced electric guitar that sounds like an acoustic?

Yamaha Silent? Anything else? I want something that sounds like an acoustic but that is quiet like an electric.

Not sure what's out there. What would be the most authetic-sounding? Thinking about 7-800-ish.

Thanks!

I have a 1st gen Yamaha Silent Guitar. They've really come down in price, and I don't understand why they are not more popular. Mine plays great, sounds great.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
      I have a 1st gen Yamaha Silent Guitar. They've really come down in price, and I don't understand why they are not more popular. Mine plays great, sounds great.
      When I say Steve Winwood live (twice), the guitarist used one for most of the set, and it sounded phenomenal.

Comment

Lee Ritenour plays one. He's no slouch, and could pick anything he wanted.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I like them, visually. Like... a lot.

Does a Silent guitar sound more like an actual acoustic than your random electric with piezo saddles, though?

Comment

I put a piezo TOM style bridge on a cheap Amazon LP
            make the magnetic picups master volume master tone
            Use a 100k pot for the other piezo volume and tone

EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

You might also check out a Variax electric, or if you can find it, a Variax acoustic guitar.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have an original Variax guitar that has some amazing acoustic sounds (even 12 string acoustic). I understand that the current models sound even better.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

The Godin multiac is pretty good for acoustic sounds . . . they sometimes turn up for cheap around here.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

A B.C. Rich acoustic would also be an option. They are very quiet if not plugged in. They sound great when amplified. The only downside is they are neck-heavy when standing.

[img][/img] Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	59
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	6267212

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                      I have an original Variax guitar that has some amazing acoustic sounds (even 12 string acoustic). I understand that the current models sound even better.
                      Yeah, I have a Variax Acoustic that sounds fantastic. Much better than my Multiac, which was a lot more expensive.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Straight electric guitar with some Martin IRs. Justin Derrico uses his Les Paul for the acoustic set with Pink. Sounds terrific.
                        Last edited by hamerfan; 01-17-2024, 05:44 PM.
                        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Working...
                        X