No announcement yet.

Fret level on a compound radius neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh yea, all good. I just thought it was funny.

Comment

About 15 years ago I had one of my guitars worked on by a local luthier. It was for fretwork. It's a compound radius neck and he showed me how he does fret work and using the tools. Even went so far as to let me file a couple and crown them. Really nice guy and still does work. He used to work for Jackson/Charvel when they had a Fort Worth location back in the day. It still took me a long time to get the courage to do fret work myself but during the pandemic shutdown, it was the perfect opportunity as I had a couple guitars that needed some attention.

Comment

update--local guy says it might need a neck shim. Kinda suprising since it's a warmoth neck & body. We shall see.

Comment

Neck shim when the saddles are maxed out? :P
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Interesting. Could mean it needs a shim at the outter edge of the neck pocket but I think something else is going on. I wonder if the neck pocket is not routed flat or even deep enough. Can't say I've ran in to this with my Warmoth.

Comment

Get it PLEK'd. :P
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                Interesting. Could mean it needs a shim at the outter edge of the neck pocket but I think something else is going on. I wonder if the neck pocket is not routed flat or even deep enough. Can't say I've ran in to this with my Warmoth.
                right? it all seems off since Warmoth stuff is pretty darn to the letter in my experience.

Comment

Fender used to shim their necks from the factory. For a time, they used these thick reddish brown stamped paper shims, Then they switched to sanding screen which was thicker and since it had an abrasive on it - it didn't allow the neck to move in the joint.
                  aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                    Fender used to shim their necks from the factory. For a time, they used these thick reddish brown stamped paper shims, Then they switched to sanding screen which was thicker and since it had an abrasive on it - it didn't allow the neck to move in the joint.
                    all my Fender have it

Comment

Working...
                    X