NGD : Harley Benton TE-52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD : Harley Benton TE-52

A late NGD, it's been a month since I received it, time to know her and understand pros and cons.

First of all, I didn't need this guitar, I have several beautiful pieces,I didn't need a budget guitar, but I was curious, REALLY curious, since the hype around the Harley Bentons is high on YT, so one evening I was watching a boring tv program, I pulled the trigger for a TE-52 , just to have a look at the publicized roasted neck, it's not the cheapest on the list, it is on the top side of their standard models, although I gave 159€ only shipped (almost nothing).

Unboxed she ( I say 'she', in italian the word Chitarra [guitar] is female) instantly looked beautiful, no major paint problem, good body color, gorgeous neck color. Neck was straight, no buzzing frets, absolutely no sharp edges (unbelievable), strings a bit high, I spent 5 minutes to set them up.
    Well, after a month or so I have to say it's big surprise even plugged, but I'll do a short P&C list, I don't want to be boring.

PROS

- obvioulsy price
    - neck absurdly good, not for the price, in general
    - bridge pickup with a healthy 7.40K , a bit shrill, after I put a 1 nF cap in parallel it became almost perfect, no need to change it at the moment
    - good finish, nor thin but neither like some asian polyestr thick as a brick finishes
    - bridge, nut and tuners accettable for the price . I had some spare wilkinson compensated brass saddles, I changed it, the improvement was significant both in intonation and in sound, slightly sweeter now

CONS

- weight . very high, much more than I expected, I used Les Pauls much lighter, but the guitar vibrates, it's not a doorstop
    - neck pickup , almost unusable, dark, weak. I put a coverless Duncan STR I had and it was night and day, a good companion for the stock bridge pickup.
    - pots, cheap and with a odd taper, I haven't changed them yet but I have to do it

Some pics of the guitar below. Summing up , a surprise, I've never thought a so cheap guitar could play that good, the hype was not hype only in the end.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240123_142204.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	6267888 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240123_142222.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	6267889 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240123_142256.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	6267886 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240123_142400.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	6267887

wonder if the HB necks are interchangeable with Fender
    you know the neck pocket and heel
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

it's 56mm wide at the end of the pocket for more or less 80mm long, height 18/19mm, I don't have a caliber here, it's difficult to read, anyway I think it does

Comment

caliper

and thanks
        sounds like the same as Fender

EHD

Comment

Interesting. Yeah, for someone who's ok with a mod or two and tweaking, several HBs seem like a good buy. Have heard similar things about the stock pups being a bit wiry and ash bodies being heavy, even on the recent thinline model (though it's not fully chambered like an og one).

The saddles are pretty basic on those, right? Chrome plated pot metal of some kind.
          Originally posted by dominus
          Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

I was thinking it would be cheaper to buy a HB than a replacement neck
            EHD

Comment

I had a HB strat style, and it may well have been the heaviest guitar I've ever encountered; far heavier than even my Agile LP with the full maple cap, a notorious boat anchor.

Glad you're enjoying the guitar-

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post

The saddles are pretty basic on those, right? Chrome plated pot metal of some kind.
                exactly, but I didn't feel the need to change them apart for the intonation problem (that drives me mad, but it's common in every tele) , anyway , same bridge and brass compensated saddles, tangible improvement

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post

exactly, but I didn't feel the need to change them apart for the intonation problem (that drives me mad, but it's common in every tele) , anyway , same bridge and brass compensated saddles, tangible improvement

I just intonated my Tele yesterday, it is spot on. Take a look at the Babicz Tele bridges. I can not sing their praises high enough for many reasons.

Comment

Except that I am never buying another guitar, this did not help alleviate my GAS for Harley Benton TE62 in Shell Pink
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      Except that I am never buying another guitar, this did not help alleviate my GAS for Harley Benton TE62 in Shell Pink
                      what's one more

doeit
                      EHD

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        nooooo, don't do it, do not join the dark side

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I just intonated my Tele yesterday, it is spot on. Take a look at the Babicz Tele bridges. I can not sing their praises high enough for many reasons.

I LOVE those. But, man are they expensive!
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Does the ashtray cover fit on the HB bridge?
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                              Does the ashtray cover fit on the HB bridge?
                              don't know , I haven't any tele ashtray, but I can measure the bridge (not before Saturday, I don't have the guitar with me now)

Comment

Working...
                              X