Kirk Hammett strikes again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kirk Hammett strikes again

I love this guitar it checks every box for me, especially the Fishman powerbridge and powerchip, but 9K Jeez!

An Artfully Recreated and Aged Version of the Metallica Icon’s Versatile Les Paul Custom

To fans of metal, Kirk Hammett needs no introduction. Longtime fans will also no doubt be familiar with his “blacked-out” 1989 Gibson Les Paul™ Custom, which he has used on numerous Metallica albums and tours. Now the Gibson Custom Shop has recreated this renowned guitar in exquisite detail. Like the original, the Kirk Hammett 1989 Les Paul Custom features all-black hardware, and per Kirk’s wishes, it comes equipped with uncovered T-Type pickups, along with a FishmanŽ Powerbridge piezo bridge pickup system with a Fishman Powerchip preamp and volume control that bring simulated full-bodied acoustic tone to this versatile Les Paul Custom. Artfully aged by the Murphy Lab to match the look and feel of Kirk’s original 1989 Les Paul Custom, it is a fitting tribute to a metal guitar master and one of his favorite instruments.

...and no EMGs.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      ...and no EMGs.
      Ive seen an article or two of him saying he is going back to passives vs actives now more and more.

9k is just ridiculous as really you're getting an LP with his name on it. If I wanted a sig guitar, Id spend less on the guitar and build it up to it. I could easily make my Iceman a Paul Stanley model by adding a C5 and 59n to it, all for a lot less than the one with his name on it and a few diff appointments.
      1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
      Jackson Soloist 7 string
      ESP LTD M-400
      Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post

Ive seen an article or two of him saying he is going back to passives vs actives now more and more.

9k is just ridiculous as really you're getting an LP with his name on it. If I wanted a sig guitar, Id spend less on the guitar and build it up to it. I could easily make my Iceman a Paul Stanley model by adding a C5 and 59n to it, all for a lot less than the one with his name on it and a few diff appointments.
        I was talking with my girlfriend about that guitar. If I really wanted to, I could build that guitar on an LP Classic platform for under 3K. She said go for it.

Comment

Slim taper neck, t type pickups and a piezo. Is it really a recreation of that Kirk hammett custom? Wrong neck shape for the period, wrong electronics (Kirk uses a pair of emg 81), why the piezo? And 9k? It makes no sense to me.

Comment

$9,000 is ridiculous, you could get three killer guitars for that price.

Comment

Hate T-Top-inspired pickups.

Comment

I'd play the hell out of it. I like the specs. LP Custom black beauty with T-Tops and acoustic sim bridge, perfect for me. T-tops are maligned because they didn't play well with NMV amps in the 1970s. Now you can get any level of gain you want out of almost any amp and they have some chop and cut to them through modern amps.

Maybe I'll wait to see what the Epiphone version clocks in at. Or look for an LP Custom husk and buy some parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post

He may have, but historically (and this is an historic model), the famous sounds he created with this guitar are with EMGs. So, this isn't what he used.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That's the point. This is not the guitar Kirk uses, not even close to it

Comment

Will it have his initials amateurishly carved into it somewhere? That's where the value from a KH replica really comes from.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I was talking with my girlfriend about that guitar. If I really wanted to, I could build that guitar on an LP Classic platform for under 3K. She said go for it.
                        I was gonna say you could easily get one for far far less than 9k. With EMG's. Eff what he is going back to. Whatever you like about Hammett was EMGs.

Full disclosure: I could give a Ratt's @$$ what Warren DeMartini is playing this month, or any other month after Reach for the Sky also....
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Gorgeous guitar!
                          But it would be even gorgeouser with gold hardware and a pricetag of $2000. (It would be easy to have all of this at that price)!
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I love Piezo on an LP
                            I'm in
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              Full disclosure: I could give a Ratt's @$$ what Warren DeMartini is playing this month, or any other month after Reach for the Sky also....
                              That is the thing: I am not a Kirk fan, and I am lukewarm when it comes to Metalica. But that guitar, as I said, checks all of my boxes from the finish to the electronics. I would like some pickups with a bit more beef. Of the guys I am crazy about their playing, I'm not so much into their signature axes. I love Jimi and Blackmore but there is no way in hell I would own a SSS Strat.

Comment

Working...
                              X