Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSA $399 Epi Trad Pro gold top

FYI

Get the guaranteed best price on Solid Body Electric Guitars like the Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro IV Limited-Edition Electric Guitar at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on...

Nice.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I could see myself going for that if I didn't have over 50 guitars including a Gibson Gold Top DC90 already.

Comment

When are Epi going to switch to the better headstock shape?
        I thought that was supposed to be coming soon...
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
          When are Epi going to switch to the better headstock shape?
          I thought that was supposed to be coming soon...
          You don't like this one?

Comment

I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with that Epi headstock.
            If you want a Gibson headstock, buy a Gibson guitar.
            If you want to complain about headstocks, talk about Dean. Functionally, it's the worst design ever. Esthetically speaking, "god-awful horridly atrocious" would be a compliment.

Comment

With Epiphone, I'm more concerned about soft wood, stripped screw holes that let screws fall out, meh fretwork, weird cheap/rushed finish flaws, setup compromises, and poorly wired electronics than I am the headstock... TBH I never gave the carving at the top a second thought until I saw people talking about it here.

But for $400, this might be worth it! If you need one.
              Take it to the limit
              Everybody to the limit
              Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Definitely "worth it".

Comment

Majority of that stuff listed hasn't really been an issues since the change to the new headstock shape (somewhere around 2020 or so?). They have greatly improved over the years and these models are no exception.

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post
                    With Epiphone, I'm more concerned about soft wood, stripped screw holes that let screws fall out
                    Is this really a concern at all?

I've never run into a stripped screw hole in a guitar that couldn't be easily remedied by sticking a couple toothpicks and some wood glue into the hole.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I wouldn't kick it out of bed for having soft wood

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Is this really a concern at all?

I've never run into a stripped screw hole in a guitar that couldn't be easily remedied by sticking a couple toothpicks and some wood glue into the hole.
                        Well, I spent $1300 on a "nice" new Epiphone in 2022 and I had to fix that and some other glaring QC problems right out of the box, and after playing it a lot and really trying to get it dialed in, I realized it's just a mediocre instrument and it'll never be what I want. Always a fight to play, lots of little details that add up to a substandard instrument. It's a backup at best. So yeah, for me, it was a concern. I was hoping for more after playing a bunch of reasonably OK Epiphones in the past. I don't buy the improved QC. This thing was all specs and no juice.
                        Take it to the limit
                        Everybody to the limit
                        Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

You don't like this one?

No, I don't mind the new headstock.
                          For some reason I thought they were still using the old one with the clipped corners.
                          That one always looked wrong to me, not because it wasn't Gibson but because it seemed too long.
                          I know it wasn't really longer, just an aesthetic issue.

I've had an Epi Explorer and a Wildkat for more than a decade. Haven't had any issues with the wood.
                          I will say the Wildkat's a little neck heavy, but that's the design; it has a fat neck compared to the Explorer.
                          Soft wood or not, they are both heavier than I'd expected- The korina Epi Explorer weighs over a pound more than my Gibson korina Explorer.
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Quality axe, swap the bridge pup and rock out !
                            https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                              I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with that Epi headstock.
                              If you want a Gibson headstock, buy a Gibson guitar.
                              If you want to complain about headstocks, talk about Dean. Functionally, it's the worst design ever. Esthetically speaking, "god-awful horridly atrocious" would be a compliment.
                              Respectfully disagree.
                              I love the Dean Headstocks.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Working...
                              X