Thinking of modding this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of modding this

So I have a 1979 Gibson The Paul. Rather minty as they go. I have always thought of doing two things to this:

#1 Blacking it out: Black Grovers, Black Bridge, Black Stop bar. All of that easily reversible.

#2 New pickups: The T-Tops are ok. And we all know I am not a fan. This guitar is Walnut body/neck and an Ebony fretboard. I have always thought a pair of plain old 59's might be nice. But what do you suggest.

Would you do this? Wouldn't you? What might you do instead. Any brand/specific suggestions?

Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Wow - that pic sucked...

Comment

I'd go with gold hardware instead of murdering it out. Maybe some double zebra Alnico II Pro units.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

a Seth Lover set, the nickel covers would also fit

Comment

I usually like black hardware but I think it would be kinda plain Jane on a piece of wood like this. Nickel or chrome covers and black/silver top hat knobs would look nice.
          Take it to the limit
          Everybody to the limit
          Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Cosmo black hardware would look good on that. But, at the same time, I'd leave it be. One sold on Reverb 2 month ago for $1795.

Comment

You have a bunch of vintage-speced LPs. You should black out the hardware, as you said, and put a set of BWs in it to have one firebreather LP.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                You have a bunch of vintage-speced LPs. You should black out the hardware, as you said, and put a set of BWs in it to have one firebreather LP.
                Black Winters you say?

I do love a Distortion style. Might be better than a Distortion with Walnut/Ebony. Hmmm....

Comment

Go for the gold

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Black Winters you say? I do love a Distortion style. Might be better than a Distortion with Walnut/Ebony. Hmmm....
                    I am getting ready to move the Blackened Black WInters into the Les Paul Lite because I got a set of Peg City Angry Widows on the way for the SG.

Comment

That guitar screams for lots of stickers all over it to hide the ugly.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

black out the hardware

spray it some fluorescent color (Pink or Orange or Yellow)

if you are going to destroy its value
                        have gusto
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

You know, going Gold/Cream would be kinda like the Smartwood Exotic series...

Comment

Black Winters was an interesting suggestion.
                            I figure your other guitars mostly are higher output than this one, and BWs could bring The Paul up to match them better.

I'm not a fan of T-tops either, especially in bridge position. They can work for me in neck position though.
                            But I will say, IME a T-top at the bridge sounded beefier in a The Paul than they have anywhere else.
                            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

that walnut is super brown
                              you want it to sound brown but with cremie top end
                              creme plastics and black hardware for the win
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                              X