So I'm getting an SG... but which?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm getting an SG... but which?

So I rave about how much I like the tone of my Les Paul partly because the bridge pickup is so close to the bridge on Gibsons. Well, SG's have the bridge pickup even closer to the bridge than Les Pauls, so I want one. Budget is around 1,200.

My first choice would be the SG Tribute, but I don't want a thick neck. I already have the "Rounded" neck profile on my Les Paul Tribute, and I don't like it.

So then would be the Epiphone Les Paul 1961 right? I don't like the headstock shape, honestly. I like the Kalamazoo headstock on Custom-style guitars with the diamond, but not on Standard-types without the binding. Looks kinda like the boat paddles they use in the 70's, which I'm not a fan of.

So maybe Epi SG Custom, maybe? Honestly, not too psyched about it being an Epi, but I guess I can play it before I buy it, because they do have those at the store here.

What else do you guys know of in the price range?

Thanks!

Go ahead & plan on spending $12-1300 on a used SG Standard.
    Anything less is going to be crappy.
    Or if you can find a made in Japan Orville SG in the USA. I paid $900.
    If you order from Japan you'll likely pay Customs fees or import duties.

Comment

a guitar I've never understood (the neck dive issue was my dealbreaker)

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post
        Doesn't apply to all.
        I don't have that.
        The cheaper ones do tho.

Comment

I'd be looking for a used SG Classic. Dual P90's, the neck is not thin and not fat, right in the middle. Really comfortable to play. Came in either a gloss finish or satin finish later on. I had a gloss finish model. What a sweet guitar. One I wish I had back.

Comment

The ones I've played have the strap button on the neck joint, which I find very annoying when playing up high on the neck. If the strap was relocated to the point of the upper horn or around there I bet they would be much nicer to use.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              The ones I've played have the strap button on the neck joint, which I find very annoying when playing up high on the neck. If the strap was relocated to the point of the upper horn or around there I bet they would be much nicer to use.
              I guess that's why Tony Iommi moved his.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I just saw the SG Custom... it doesn't have the bridge pickup as close to the bridge as the 1961. So that idea is scrapped too.

I don't get why they do that, TBH.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lg_3948e5019317fdfb041a39f712101fd1.webp
Views:	182
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	6269545

Name:	lg_74a9c8e7e021638c25afb658cf666368.webp
Views:	176
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	6269546

Comment

I love my 2002 SG Special. I bought it for $650 new in 2002, and they are going for about $900 used now.

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post
                    First get a big fat strap and you don't have to worry about neck heavy.

Second, take any SG and run it through your preferred signal chain and jam on the high end of the neck for an hour.

At that point, it's really hard not to fall in love.

And then if you really want to go insane, do the same thing on an early 60 or reissue and you will never want to stop because you can reach anything that you ever imagined and more.
                    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Lighter tuners help the neckdive too.

And not having oversized headstocks like the Epis helps too.

Comment

Assume you want one with hbs.

I think some of those older 90s and 00s Gibson Specials had slimmer necks. I don't know what the Japanese ones are like – Greco, Tokai and Edwards – though they seem well appointed for the $, might be worth it, as suggested above, to bring one in from Japan. The current Edwards version comes stock with Duncans, has a thin lacquer finish and Gotoh hardware.
                        Originally posted by dominus
                        Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Let's talk about Harley Benton...

Name:	harley-benton-dc-custom-cherry-1-449.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	6269667

Just kidding. Seriously though, how much SG do you need? I have heard a LOT of love and no complaints on Epiphone G400's over the years.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I find the neck dive argument to be ridiculous. Yes, if you take your hand off the neck, the guitar will rest perpendicular to the floor. The second you put your hand under the neck, it slides into the desired position. It is not as if you have to fight with the neck to play the guitar. I do not even notice "neck dive" on my SG.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                              I find the neck dive argument to be ridiculous. Yes, if you take your hand off the neck, the guitar will rest perpendicular to the floor. The second you put your hand under the neck, it slides into the desired position. It is not as if you have to fight with the neck to play the guitar. I do not even notice "neck dive" on my SG.
                              Well bruce, not all guitarists are strong manly-men like you and me.

Some these delicate china tea-cup drinkers with their pinkies out need to really hit the gym...

I agree - I've never played a guitar so neck heavy I cared. SG is crazy popular, so, I guess a lot of pro's don't care either.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X