Gibson Les Paul, a SG, and a EBMM Axis WORTH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Les Paul, a SG, and a EBMM Axis WORTH

I am torn between getting a Gibson Les Paul, a SG, and a EBMM Axis. I am looking to spend $1600. Which guitars would you pick? I had my mind set on a Axis but I also love Gibson's. My LP is the greatest guitar I have ever played.

Honestly, I like the Axis. EBMM necks are my favorite.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If you're looking at new, that eliminates the Les Paul. Unless you opt for a Modern, Junior or Special. With SG's, Specials and Standards fit that budget. The MusicMan Axis is double your budget so think about that.

If you're looking at used, that opens things up to a few more options. An Axis at that price might be beat up some unless you sit and find one where somebody needs to sell fast. Those necks are fantastic. The bodies are too small for me though.

Comment

Well clearly the axis is the best build, higher quality choice and I love the variability.. but as others have mentioned I think it's out of your price range.

With that said, SGs are one of my favorite mod platforms... Sitting in between muddy Les Paul's and bright telecasters, it really can do almost anything and there are quite a few models you could consider.

With the right pups and mods, an SG can almost get you the heavy Les Paul feeling, definitely get you the less Paul Jr tones and if you manage your bridge and consider some parallel options you can get nice clean brights as well.

And most important, your back won't give away after a long gig.

And don't forget neck access.. The danger of me and SGs is noodling and noodling and noodling way above 12 fret :-)
        What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Originally posted by brewayne View Post
          I am torn between getting a Gibson Les Paul, a SG, and a EBMM Axis. I am looking to spend $1600. Which guitars would you pick? I had my mind set on a Axis but I also love Gibson's. My LP is the greatest guitar I have ever played.
          Sounds like you need an HSS Strat.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Honestly, I like the Axis. EBMM necks are my favorite.
            Love my EBMM guitars. I think they will be paid off around 2027, interest free of course LOL. Think a cheap Luke used is another great guitar

Comment

Originally posted by brewayne View Post
              I love the EBMM of the guitars you listed. I would look used and one thats been for sale a while, make your offer. Its not lowballing, its free market. If people get all upset about lowballers, why you list taking offers? Some may think the string spacing is too close with the EBMM, doesnt bother me

Comment

You can find a used EB Axis "Super Sport" in that price range. I don't know what the difference is that makes them so much cheaper.

I'm a Gibson fan too. I love a good LP but if you already have one you don't need another, unless you specifically want it as a backup or for a different tuning or something. I guess I'd vote SG here although like some other people I've had trouble with neck dive on the ones I've played.
                Take it to the limit
                Everybody to the limit
                Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

The Super Sport is my favorite version of the Axis.

Comment

If you like the Axis you will most likely also like the EVH Wolfgang line. It's a continuation of the same design.
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Very good point on the EVH Wolfgang. A Special falls right in to the budget too.

Comment

I don't think the EVH is nearly as nice as an Axis.

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post
                          I love a good LP but if you already have one you don't need another,
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            I don't think the EVH is nearly as nice as an Axis.
                            Axis is definitely closer to a modern super strat vibe whereas Wolfgangs are closer to old man Les Pauls.
                            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post

Axis is definitely closer to a modern super strat vibe whereas Wolfgangs are closer to old man Les Pauls.
                              The necks feel way different to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X