More mass = more resonant guitar??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More mass = more resonant guitar??

How does a heavier sustain block increase resonance of a guitar if increased mass leads to increased inertia leading to the vibrations being less included to leave the block and vibrate into the rest of the guitar?

Also while I'm here, why should I care about resonance? The energy that goes into vibrating the wood isn't being picked up by the pickups, so I would think more vibrationally dead wood would be better for guitar.

Here we go. Everyone buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Comment

This has been discussed by violin makers since before Amati, Guaneri, and Stradivari.
      Do we really need to go there again?
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
        This has been discussed by violin makers since before Amati, Guaneri, and Stradivari.
        but pickups aren't a key factor in the tone of a violin like they are electric guitar

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          Do violins even have sustain?
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post

Do violins even have sustain?
            No

Comment

If there was no sustain you would not hear a note

Comment

I think it would be beneficial if everyone would take an extreme point of view and dogmatically defend their position.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  I think it would be beneficial if everyone would take an extreme point of view and dogmatically defend their position.
                  This is the only way this discussion should proceed.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by BadAspen View Post
                    Also while I'm here, why should I care about resonance? The energy that goes into vibrating the wood isn't being picked up by the pickups.
                    Yes it does. The 2 possible ways the structural integrity (and design) of the guitar improves the tone is it influences the way the strings vibrate and the pickups read that, or the guitar itself resonates better, and the pickups somehow read some of that microphonically. Most likely it's both. That's how different electric guitar shapes sound differently even if the other factors are held constant.

Say you have a Tele and a Strat. You transfer the Tele neck pickup into the Strat. Would it sound identical? No, of course not. Why not? The shape of the guitar and the resonance of the trem make the guitar sound like a Strat acoustically and the pickup absolutely reads this.
                    Last edited by Clint 55; 02-09-2024, 01:56 PM.
                    The things that you wanted
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                      If there was no sustain you would not hear a note
                      Sure you would, the note wont last.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                        Yes it does. The 2 possible ways the structural integrity (and design) of the guitar improves the tone is it influences the way the strings vibrate and the pickups read that, or the guitar itself resonates better, and the pickups somehow read some of that microphonically. Most likely it's both. That's how different electric guitar shapes sound differently even if the other factors are held constant.

Say you have a Tele and a Strat. You transfer the Tele neck pickup into the Strat. Would it sound identical? No, of course not. Why not? The shape of the guitar and the resonance of the trem make the guitar sound like a Strat acoustically and the pickup absolutely reads this.
                        To me Strats are usually quieter than Teles because on the Strat I accidentally bumped the volume knob and didn't notice.
                        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I couldn't tell you, I don't really play my guitars unplugged all that often. Do they really sound all that difference acoustically? Outside of mass of the body and bridge the only real acoustic difference between a stratocaster and a tele is saddle material and a Strat has a bit of a banjo effect going on with its goofy pickguard and large route combo.

My strat doesn't have a trem, but I'll have to do a side by side back at the house.

Comment

lol, there's literally no way to prove this kind of rhetoric.

you'd have to, like, start with the neck and electronics in a strat shaped body and then somehow re-rout and re-shape that same piece of wood to be a tele... which you can't because the routs are different and most strats have contours while teles don't.

just having two alder bodies and moving the electronics and neck over doesn't prove anything because many people will tell you not every piece of wood from a species sounds the same. Are they the exact same weight? Did they come from the same tree? Do they have the same moisture content and density?

Comment

The only way to know for sure is, acoustic resonance imaging.

Comment

Working...
                              X