I can't get no relief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't get no relief

I have a Squier Mustang and I noticed the low E was buzzing after I put a lighter gauge string on it (9s, where I had originally set it up for 10)

Now there's a bunch of buzzing on the low E string on the lower frets so I decided to loosen the truss rod in quarter turn increments with about 2 hours between. I've done about a total of 1.5 full turns now without so much as even a string detuning. At the beginning it was a very easy loose turning nut, but now it's got a decent amount of resistance on it.

Am I doing something wrong?
    "If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward."

MLK Jr.

1.5 full turns is a lot. if you are loosing the truss rod and it was turning easily and now is turning hard, id stop. is there any relief in the neck?

Comment

Not a lot, fretting the 1st and 17th fret there's probably about 1/2 mm of space over the 8th fret. I'm thinking maybe the first turn it bolt wasn't biting onto the thread of the truss yet, hence no tension?
      "If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward."

MLK Jr.

Comment

It might take some time. With the TR backed off, leave it over night or 24 hours tuned to pitch and see if a little more develops.

Comment

is this a double action trussrod or single?

Comment

Sounds like it's a dbl action rod because it's getting more difficult to turn counter-clockwise.
            You can either let it sit for a couple days (which I think is rather silly) or you can put some stress on the neck to help the truss rod.

Here's what you should do:
            Start by tightening the rod again (turning clockwise) to where the rod turns freely back and forth.
            Put blocks under the neck at the nut and at the body.
            Push down very hard in the middle of the neck as you turn the rod counter-clockwise. Turn the rod at least one full turn after you start to feel some resistance (still pushing down hard on the neck as you turn the rod).
            Tighten the strings up to pitch and see if that helps get rid of the buzzing, or creates some relief (at least more than before).

If it helped but you need more, repeat the above process.
            If it's too much relief, turn the trussrod clockwise to where you want it.
            Last edited by GuitarDoc; 02-12-2024, 09:10 AM.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Take it to someone qualified before you ruin it.

Comment

You can't ruin it by doing what I suggested. It is exactly what "someone qualified" will do. I know because I am "someone qualified".

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  You can't ruin it by doing what I suggested. It is exactly what "someone qualified" will do. I know because I am "someone qualified".
                  Its like trying to do a liver transplant on the internet.
                  Ive played for 45 yrs, adjust my own TR's and have never heard WTF he's typing about.
                  Most likely he has alreadt F'd it up.
                  Last edited by JMP/HBE; 02-12-2024, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

Its like trying to do a liver transplant on the internet.
                    UHH, no!
                    Not even close.
                    Maybe for you though. Do you do your own string changes? And tune it up afterward? Or do you need to take it to "someone qualified"?

Ive played for 45 yrs, adjust my own TR's and have never heard WTF he's typing about.
                    Because you obviously are not "someone qualified" to not only fix this problem, but not even enough to understand this simple problem.
                    Yes, indeed, if you ever have this problem you will need to take it to "someone qualified".

Most likely he has alreadt F'd it up.
                    That's what you think? Really?
                    Proves my point.

Comment

Here's a video which shows how to do what I've suggested (this vid shows using clamps which would be necessary if it's very difficult to manually bend the neck).

Comment

Got it fixed up, I think the issue was just a combination of the first few turns not changing anything because the bolt was loose or something, combined with the neck being more stable than I expected it to be. Everything's good and working now

MLK Jr.

Comment

Congrats.
                          I figured you could get it.

Comment

Even though you got it, it's a good idea to watch that vid I posted.

Comment

glad you got it figured out!

yall need to be less snippy at each other

Comment

Working...
                              X