Refin advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refin advice

A friend of mine gave me an cheapo Tele body in a translucent butterscotch blonde. I'm looking to refinish it purely for the practice. Chemical stripper is off the table, and I'm assuming a heat gun would risk the integrity of the veneer, so I think I'm stuck with sanding.

This would be my first axe that I'm shooting for a stain, so my usual pisspoor sanding method isn't going to cut it. I'm assuming power sander for the front, sanding block for the sides, but what about the fillet? How do I sand the edges without going through them? My guess for paper is 60 grit until all the color is gone, then 120 to flatten out the rough spots, then 320 to smooth it out?

Any advice for staining either? I've never done it before
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

WHY is chemical stripping off the table?
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Yes, that's the general idea for sanding, although you could optimize the grits. I sanded surfboards professionally. For heavy to start you could go between 40, 60, or 80. Sometimes lower grit cuts better, sometimes 80 actually cuts better. If you start cutting through most of the finish with 40, you could switch to 80 to avoid deep scratches. Once you have the finish off, go to 120 to take out all the scratches. 120 won't put deep scratches in the wood so do all of the scratch removal and smoothing with 120. Then go to 180 for fine sanding and the surface should be perfect and quite soft. After that if you choose, you can take it to whatever further fine grit you prefer: 220, 320, 400 etc.
      Last edited by Clint 55; 02-15-2024, 05:27 PM.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Thinner doesn't work. The paint they put in these things is rock solid
        Last edited by Chistopher; 02-15-2024, 05:31 PM.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          Yes, that's the general idea for sanding, although you could optimize the grits. I sanded surfboards professionally. For heavy to start you could go between 40, 60, or 80. Sometimes lower grit cuts better, sometimes 80 actually cuts better. If you start cutting through most of the finish with 40, you could switch to 80 to avoid deep scratches. Once you have the finish off, go to 120 to take out all the scratches. 120 won't put deep scratches in the wood so do all of the scratch removal and smoothing with 120. Then go to 180 for fine sanding and the surface should be perfect and quite soft. After that if you choose, you can take it to whatever further fine grit you prefer: 220, 320, 400 etc.
          Any tips on how to hit the edges? Every time I've tried sanding in the past I've sanded through the edges.

Also does this look deep enough? I don't know if the stain will take too well to this.
          Attached Files

Comment

That looks pretty nice. Notice how there are only a little deep scratches left. If you focused on that with 180 it would bring it to a uniform finish. But it doesn't look bad. For the sides, yes just use a sanding block if you need to be careful. They make sanding blocks with one side hard and one side with a soft pad that can be helpful.
            I bought them for you

Comment

I'll have to pick one up. Do you think it's deep enough? There are several places on the internet showing a lighter color, but it could just be the wood.

Comment

Do you mean did you sand deep enough? I'd keep sanding with 180 to take out those scratches because they'll show after you stain. Go for a uniform surface with no deep scratches. Jumping ahead to finer grits can trick you, it makes the surface soft, but it doesn't cut enough to take out the scratches from the heavy grits.
                I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                  I'll have to pick one up. Do you think it's deep enough?
                  Absolutely NOT! (In your photo I can see lots of finish and sealer left in the wood. It ALL needs to be removed.
                  Not if you are going to stain it. If you were just going to paint it then just sand it smooth (to 320 grit). If you're going to stain it, you need to sand every mm of it (including the edges) down to bare wood (not even the slightest hint of any finish or sealer left). Just use a small piece of sandpaper curved, in your bare hand, to sand the edges...don't use ANY kind of a block (a soft cloth in your hand works ok).

Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Absolutely NOT! (In your photo I can see lots of finish and sealer left in the wood. It ALL needs to be removed.
                    Not if you are going to stain it. If you were just going to paint it then just sand it smooth (to 320 grit). If you're going to stain it, you need to sand every mm of it (including the edges) down to bare wood (not even the slightest hint of any finish or sealer left). Just use a small piece of sandpaper curved, in your bare hand, to sand the edges...don't use ANY kind of a block (a soft cloth in your hand works ok).
                    This is what I feared. With how much material I am using I suppose I will likely have to shim the neck. What's the best indication to know when I have hit wood? Also I don't think this matters too much, but I do one face at a time, IE front, then back, then edges. Is that fine or should I try to sand the entire thing roughly equally?

Comment

Also how easy is it to sand through the veneer? This is an Affinity, so I feel the wood is likely going to be softer than the finish

Comment

You don't have to sand it in any order.
                        Sand until you don't see ANY discoloration in the wood. Then check it with a few drops of some alcohol...if it is absorbed rapidly and evenly you're good to go. If there is any spot where the alcohol isn't absorbed quickly or completely, or especially if it beads up in the slightest, you need to do more sanding.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I would make a tummy cut in that with a large wood rasp
                          maybe a forearm carve on the front

maybe a PRS swoop on the lower bout

don't stop now

make it yours
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I'm really struggling with scratching the rounded edges where the front and back of the guitar meets the side, any way around this?

Comment

just sand it

if you rough it up too much use a finer grit to finish

I dont understand your caution
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                              X