banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need a Les Paul Classic? Talk me in or out of it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need a Les Paul Classic? Talk me in or out of it.

I tried one at a the local store yesterday. I fell in love. Like... big time. Like... I need one in my life.

I originally went there to see if I would like the SG Tribute or the PRS S2 Standard 24 Satin. They were nice, but honestly, I think I'd be happier with a second (nicer) Les Paul in my arsenal.

Anyway, back on the topic of the Classic, it's everything I want on a Les Paul: It's full thicknes, it has a relatively fast neck, it's ready for the mods that I want (probably just a hotter bridge pickup and a Graphtech bridge), it wasn't a boat anchor, but it didn't feel like a toy either, and most of all, it looked gorgeous and elegant and like a full-on Les Paul without it having a flashy finish that I don't like (I tried the black one).

However... do I need one? A Studio is almost $1,000 CAD less, and it also has the thinner neck and even a bridge pickup that I wouldn't feel the need to change immediately (498T). The only thing that it's missing is binding (not a big deal... I mean, it's pretty, but I can live without it) and it's not full body thickness (that's kinda what bums me out the most).

But do you think I'd be unsatisfied with a Studio if I went for a Studio rather than Classic? I didn't get to try a Studio yesterday, so I have no idea how it compare feel-wise, but I mean, they have the same neck profile, just without binding. It's teh body thickness that would maybe have me thinking "yeah, this ain't a full-on Les Paul".

Thoughts?

The one I tried looked like this, BTW. Out of the Gibbos I tried, it had the darkest Rosewood too. So none of that sickly pale stuff. Almost jet black.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lg_6b2963b73c81e248bfd94d280068ec52.webp?alt=Les%20Paul%20Classic%20-%20Ebony.webp
Views:	138
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	6272742

I wish you were up (down?) here. There is a Cherry Sunburst Classic with double creams in great condition down the street from me for $1000 USD.

Comment

Yes, you need one. Classics are my favorite Les Paul models.

Comment

Yes. You should get this guitar. Maybe you don't "need" the super nice neck profile and great feel and cool aesthetics, but you really don't "need" another budget-minded LP that isn't exactly what you're looking for. I fell in love with an LP Classic last year, essentially the 7-string version of this very guitar, and even though it was a financially unwise choice, I bought the damn thing, and now I play it every day. It's my nicest electric and I'm inspired to write stuff on it that I probably wouldn't have come up with otherwise. If it's worth it to you to have a guitar that really speaks to you, pull the trigger.

Name:	20240303-134700.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	6272747
        Take it to the limit
        Everybody to the limit
        Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

I would/could, never talk a guy out of a good guitar.

Comment

(By the way, the hardware is solid. I thought about an "upgrade" when I bought it but quickly realized it's just fine the way it is.)
            Take it to the limit
            Everybody to the limit
            Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post
              Yes. You should get this guitar. Maybe you don't "need" the super nice neck profile and great feel and cool aesthetics, but you really don't "need" another budget-minded LP that isn't exactly what you're looking for. I fell in love with an LP Classic last year, essentially the 7-string version of this very guitar, and even though it was a financially unwise choice, I bought the damn thing, and now I play it every day. It's my nicest electric and I'm inspired to write stuff on it that I probably wouldn't have come up with otherwise. If it's worth it to you to have a guitar that really speaks to you, pull the trigger.

Name:	20240303-134700.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	6272747
              That is probably one of the best LPs I have ever played in my life. Definitlly in the top 5 and I have played a ton of LPs.

Comment

No you dont need one
                wont sound that much different than any other 2 hum guitar you have

Heavy as fart

Smell like vanilla

Change your life

Short scale ( once you go gibson you dont go back)

Not comfortable as a strat

Makes you play zeppelin and classics

Do you really want that?

EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                  No you dont need one
                  wont sound that much different than any other 2 hum guitar you have
                  Kinda, but also no

Heavy as fart
                  Yes

Smell like vanilla
                  Kinda

Change your life
                  Yes

Short scale ( once you go gibson you dont go back)
                  No, but also yes

Not comfortable as a strat
                  Nooo

Nooooooo

Do you really want that?
                  Yes
                  Take it to the limit
                  Everybody to the limit
                  Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

For me, the most important thing about a guitar is feel.. if you don't like it you won't play it.

Tone follows and for me aesthetics is last because if I like it I don't care what it looks like

As far as cost, I either can afford it or I can't...

So I think you sold me on this guitar.. can't wait to hear what you do!
                    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Each to his own, of course, but to me, the average strat with the Modern C neck with the 9.5" radius is not more comfy than the average Les Paul with the 60's neck and the 12" radius.

Especially with the middle pickup and the volume knob in such an inconvenient position.

JMO, of course.
                      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-03-2024, 05:42 PM.

Comment

I was thinking the lack of tummy cut
                        and the strap position making the body shift forward of where a strat sits

Not just the neck shape

but yeah its an personal experience

Hey wait
                        You said talk you out of it

I try to do that

But i am starting to think you dont want to be talked out of buying it.
                        Last edited by ehdwuld; 03-03-2024, 06:56 PM.
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I can't answer your question, but that thang sure is gorgeous.

Comment

I was thinking the lack of tummy cut
                            and the strap position making the body shift forward of where a strat sits

Not just the neck shape

but yeah its an personal experience

Hey wait
                            You said talk you out of it

I try to do that

But i am starting to think you dont want to be talked out of buying it.
                            I was thinking more like "don't buy it but buy a Studio becuase bla bla bla and you'll be happy", LOL.

Comment

If you plug a Les Paul into a Marshall and do not play at least one Page lick only two things are possible. You do not know any Page licks or you are an alien.

Comment

Working...
                              X