banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

True or False? Every guitarist has seller’s remorse…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True or False? Every guitarist has seller’s remorse…

I’ve been collecting guitars for decades now and was reminiscing about the guitars I wish I never sold. Is this an inevitable part for any guitarist? Death, taxes, and the guitar envy?
    If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
    DON'TGETMADBRO

I think we all go through it, just not with every guitar sold. There are many I have been happy to sell, as they didn't work for me. Just one or 2 I sold I wished I had back.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

There's remorse at selling, there's remorse at buying, and regret and the burden of keeping. But it all can't be helped.

Comment

No remorse here. I've Only sold a couple (ie. two) of guitars (of the 40+ I have) over the last 30 or so years ..and one of those I bought back
        "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
        If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I don't miss any of the guitars I've sold. But I haven't sold any guitars that I was attached to.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I've never sold any gear. I have traded or given it away but never sold. I have never traded for more gear either.

Comment

It's an entire Shakespearian Tragedy of buying, keeping, selling, over and over again.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I sold, traded, and gave away a bunch of stuff when I was younger, and I used to regret it, so I stopped getting rid of anything for about 20 years. I think I'm at the point where I know what's important practically and I can respect my strong sentimental attachment to a few things, and everything else can go. I do best when I only play one instrument every day anyway, unless I need to practice switching between guitar and bass or drums or something. I just need a few guitar shipping boxes.
                Take it to the limit
                Everybody to the limit
                Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Thats like saying every human being likes spinach.

Comment

I can't sell music gear, but most of my stuff is very easy to give away. Guitars are tools and losing one is just a reminder that everything is borrowed. There will come a day when we lose all our instruments, so there's no point to letting it hurt
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I go through phases when it comes to what I am interested in playing, so I've sold things to buy what I want at the moment, but inevitably I come back round to wanting things I've already had. Amongst all of the things that were sold, there were a few "perfect specimens", not necessarily cosmetically, they just played and sounded perfectly. A great goldtop Les Paul Standard, a purple quilt top EBMM Axis, and an original black Paul Reed Smith CE24 from '91, and a Tremonti from about '11, black gold quilt top, and a black Peavey Wolfgang and Vandenberg Custom, those are the ones I regret the most (I have owned other examples of all of these guitars, but they were not the same!), there have been amps as well but most of those were 100-120 watt heads that I can't really use anyway so I don't really miss those!
                      Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
                      Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
                      Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
                      Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

Ehhh...if you want a piece of gear back that got rid of, there are plenty of avenues to go about doing that. This is assuming said gear wasn't some super rare, one-off piece of course!
                        Last edited by cliffenstein; 03-07-2024, 08:20 PM.
                        1988 Fender MIJ ST54 Hardtail Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
                        2005 Edwards E-JR-100LTD/DC w/Gibson P90
                        2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Mahogany Satin
                        2015 Fender Road Worn '50s Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
                        2018 Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Junior
                        -------
                        1979 Marshall JMP 2204
                        1997 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
                        2021 Epic Amplification AR50
                        2022 Mojotone British 800 2204​

Comment

Thinking back on the few guitars I've sold, I can't say that I want any of them back. I'm not an impulsive person, so by the time I sell a guitar it's usually something I should have already parted with.
                          Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

I kinda regret selling my Fender bass. I rarely touched it, but it was nice being around.

Comment

Well, it also has to do with most musicians are not rich people, and they tend to sell guitars to pay for life expenses.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X