You don't have to spend a fortune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You don't have to spend a fortune

Popped into see my friend the tech yesterday, He was playing a 335 clone he had been working on for a friend through a couple of pedals and a Roland Cube.It.sounded pretty cool. Try it he said, its a nice weight..well under eight pounds.He had just done a fret job and fitted a new nut ,new strings and a set up. Frets were not that bad he said. And metal quite hard .

It was a nice gutar to play. Real rosewood finger board.. Guess price he said . Turns out its about the same price as a Harley Benton HB35 at around £210 shipped. Quite a bit cheaper than a set of Pearly Gates..

Had I not already had a 335 clone I would have been interested.

The standard of cheap imports continues to amaze me.

Faithfully Reproduce the Sound of the 70s The inner cavity of this semi-hollow electric guitar has undergone six polishing, double the ordinary, for purer sound resonance. We've also treated the wood for a clean and transparent sound with a classic 70s tone that's rich and thick. Classic Body that Sings the Blues With

Truth be told, it doesn't matter what I says on the headstock, it's how it sounds and plays that matters most .
    I have a 2007 Epiphone Les Paul Custom that smoked the 1974 Gibson Les Paul Custom thatI sold of last year.

Comment

If it FEELS good, and SOUNDS good, it IS good.

Unless you ask JMP, then it sucks if he doesn't like it because of the price or country of origin, but it's the bees knees if he gets the same thing from the same place.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

They look nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          If it FEELS good, and SOUNDS good, it IS good.

Unless you ask JMP, then it sucks if he doesn't like it because of the price or country of origin, but it's the bees knees if he gets the same thing from the same place.
          Yep, absolutely. And might I add...if it LOOKS good. Getting it for low $$$ is frosting on the cake.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

A friend of mine just ordered one.

Comment

I'm currently playing a lot a Harley Benton tele which sounds good and it's a joy to play, my only complain is its weight, way too.much, but my next guitar in value costs 5 times the HB and it doesn't play that good, full stop.

Comment

These are mighty fine looking guitars, especially the red.

One thing I really like is the headstock. Not just the simplicity of design, but how it creates a nearly straight string pull over the nut.

It's the little things that count.

Man, if I didn't already have a mid-sixties Sheraton and a 335 that I just built a few months ago, I would definitely buy one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  One thing I really like is the headstock. Not just the simplicity of design, but how it creates a nearly straight string pull over the nut.
                  That's one of the things that's important to me too. It's why I'd (probably) never own a "hockey stick", Dean/Washburn, et al.

The only other thing I don't like, in that general design, is the position of the output jack. The ES-339 is the only one of that style that puts it down where I think it should be.

Comment

Yes, you definitely have a point there. I've never liked the jack on the front like that. (At least a Strat has it angled.)

Comment

But...
                      The jack placement is not a deal breaker. It's just a bit annoying.

Comment

Yep, absolutely. And might I add...if it LOOKS good. Getting it for low $$$ is frosting on the cake.
                        Hey - sometimes you buy for looks, because you know you can change electronics, pickups, effects, and amp settings - it will eventually sound good.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

^ +1

Comment

But...
                            The jack placement is not a deal breaker. It's just a bit annoying.
                            It's a deal breaker for me, that's why I play a strat, it's the only jack placement I'm comfortable with.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

It's a deal breaker for me, that's why I play a strat, it's the only jack placement I'm comfortable with.
                              Both my Steinberger and my Brian Moore has the jack placement recessed on the back of the guitar. That is the best I've found so far.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X