X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• acoustic inlay

Hi guys,
    thought I would share a build in progress,
    its an OM acoustic with maple back and sides and this is the inlay I have just finished for the neck. Ebony board, bloodwood binding lots of different shell and composites.. Evo gold frets..

www.crossleyguitars.com

Neck and headstock inlays have always amazed me. Don't you have to cut out all those tiny pieces, and route out the tight spaces for them to fit . . . and make them fit perfectly? Amazing.

Beautiful work.

Comment

Marvelous work again. I totally love all of your inlay work, it represents a LOT of time, patience, and love in addition to the skill and creativity.
      I've tried a couple simple things, but I find I just don't have the patience for it. It's tough enough just to get my guitars completed.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Wow, this is fantastic. Well done and extremely tasteful.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

thats beautiful! about how long does something like that take you?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            thats beautiful! about how long does something like that take you?
            Actually not as long as you would think,
            that inlay took about 6 hours, spread over a couple of days, it takes longer to come up with the design
            it is hard on my old eyes, I have my glasses on plus one of those magnifying head band things.
            you also chew through the jewellers saw blades, they are pretty thin, the slightest lack of concentration and they snap.
            www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

thats impressive!

Comment

. Here it's spring, and all the prunus genus trees are in full bloom, just so. I think my favourite details on the acoustics are the wood bindings and 'offcut' tesserae comprising the rosette.

Have any customers commissioned a 12 fretter, Pete?
                Originally posted by dominus
                Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
                  . Here it's spring, and all the prunus genus trees are in full bloom, just so. I think my favourite details on the acoustics are the wood bindings and 'offcut' tesserae comprising the rosette.

Have any customers commissioned a 12 fretter, Pete?
                  No not as yet mate, but I definitely will build one the tone is great on them due to optimum bridge placement
                  www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

I'm just gonna say it: First thing you have ever done that didn't make me go OMG!!!!

Exquisite work as always - not my bag.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Crossley View Post
                      No not as yet mate, but I definitely will build one the tone is great on them due to optimum bridge placement
                      Yes, I expected you'd say that . To me, certainly, they sound sweeter.

One of the best guitars I've ever played was a Lowden Pierre Bensusan model, which is 12 frets and has a smaller, similar to classical size body. Astonishing, which is not a surprise given the endorsee. Particularly the plain strings, they got them to sound nice and round.
                      Originally posted by dominus
                      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        I'm just gonna say it: First thing you have ever done that didn't make me go OMG!!!!

Exquisite work as always - not my bag.
                        yeah I get it, but as I slowly descend into decrepitude..
                        I'm playing with all sorts of stuff..
                        its more just a brain challenge than something that floats da boat..

hope you are well my man..
                        www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Crossley View Post

yeah I get it, but as I slowly descend into decrepitude..
                          I'm playing with all sorts of stuff..
                          its more just a brain challenge than something that floats da boat..

hope you are well my man..
                          Ask me Thursday - hahaha

Bloodwood binding is pretty bad@$$, I have to admit.

Ever do Purpleheart binding???

Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Ask me Thursday - hahaha

Bloodwood binding is pretty bad@$$, I have to admit.

Ever do Purpleheart binding???
                            Not binding no, I once did a purpleheart fretboard on an all gloss black guitar, that looked pretty cool.
                            www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

Working...
                            X