Non-Seller's Remorse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Seller's Remorse?

So, there was a recent thread about having seller's remorse and it got me thinking...do you ever have remorse from NOT selling a guitar?

My Custom guitars usually have a price tag of $3000-7000. Recently a guy was over at my place auditioning for a band I was with. I have several dozen guitars in my rehearsal room and he tried out most of them. He was amazed at how they all played and sounded but he kept coming back to one specific guitar. He loved it so much he wanted to buy it on the spot...cash. It was my personal number one guitar so it had been used quite a bit. I usually sell my used customs for $2500-3500. This one was used, but it was a really fantastic guitar so he offered me $5000. I told him that it was "MY" guitar and it wasn't for sale, so he kept playing several of the others. But he came back to this one and played it again and said he would pay $7000 for it. I explained again that it was mine and it just wasn't for sale. He said he would talk to his uncle (who is quite wealthy) to get a loan for a few thousand and would give me $10,000 for it!

You better believe I thought about it very hard. I told myself..."I have lots of other guitars that sound just as good and look even better". The only reason they weren't my #1 was because the necks were a bit too fat. But then I thought I could easily remove the necks and sand them down to a more comfortable shape and re-finish them and make them perfect (they're all bolt-on necks). But I've got about 10 guitars in the works that still need to be completed and I didn't want to add another project to the list, so I told him "no".

That was a few weeks ago and now I'm thinking, "What the heck was I thinking!!!"

So, I've got non-seller's remorse.

Any of you wish that you would have sold a guitar when you had the chance but didn't?
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

While I have some of the usual life problems, I don't think that is one. Must be a sweet axe.

Comment

I have a 120 year old violin in the basement that was valued at a grand that I had a guy offer me 600$ for that I probably should have sold. I might be able to get more for it, but it's so much effort to list and then set up meetings for people to check it out.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Absolutely, the time and hassle of arranging and going to a meeting to have them check it out is a real nuisance.

Comment

Whenever I buy anything that I don't strictly need, especially music gear, I always try to differentiate between if I want to buy the thing for the short term pleasure of buying it, or if I want it because I would actually get good use of it. This does quite a bit of help in preventing these types of situations, but some impulse purchases do slip through the cracks.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

What hit's me especially hard is when I see someone has the use for something I have and I am in a position to give it to them, but I don't and then I don't end up using it. I was going to give a friend a pair of studio monitors that I wasn't using, I didn't and then like a week later I broke them cause I stepped on them in the dark
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Nope, this has never happened to me. My instruments are worth way more to me than they would be to anyone else, and nobody's ever offered to buy one. Closest I've come is a friend who told me to let him know if I was ever letting go of my VHT. As if.

I have thought about selling the good ones, but won't do it. I'm not a guitar maker so I don't have the same kind of relationship with my stuff or any confidence that I could get something else to play "just right" if I got rid of my #1; from my perspective, letting go of a favorite player is a complete non-starter. I would always regret it.
              Take it to the limit
              Everybody to the limit
              Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

As I've gotten older, I've gotten a lot better at not getting too attached to my guitars. I had one partscaster that I bought fairly cheaply, but made several really fun upgrades on, but when I was done with it, I never actually played it. I ended up giving it to one of the kids who does repairs at my local shop, because I knew he'd appreciate the capabilities I'd built into it and he'd actually play it (a lot better than I would have, to boot...)

Comment

Never non seller’s remorse, but plenty of non buyer’s remorse.

I’ve passed on some guitars that I now wish I’d bought.

Comment

Originally posted by Texsunburst59 View Post
                    Never non seller’s remorse, but plenty of non buyer’s remorse.

I’ve passed on some guitars that I now wish I’d bought.
                    I totally get that. That used to happen with me in the past. But now that I have so many guitars I don't ever think about buying any more. Besides, if there's something particular that I want I just make it.

Comment

Working...
                    X