String Tree and/or tuner screw hole filler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String Tree and/or tuner screw hole filler

Ok folks. What is your choice/method for filling tuner screw holes or string tree holes on a headstock?

Quick backstory, I was getting a nasty overtone from the G string on my Warmoth build. Has staggered tuners, nut is cut with good break, but the overtone was still there. I tried the modern string trees that are on some Fenders (screw hole and dimple) but didn't like the break angle. I ordered a three string tree that works for the E,B,G strings with one screw hole. It works great and minimized it to satisfactory level. But, there are a few other holes that I'd like to fill (two from the G,D tree I put on - dimple and screw hole) and one from the dimple of the previous string tree between the E,B strings.

1. Small maple dowel sized down and to match the grain
    2. Wood filler
    3. Toothpicks
    4. Epoxy
    5. Sticker
    6. Band-Aid
    7. Other

What is a toothpick but a dowel (usually paper birch)? Don't us epoxy or wood filler. You can stick a shorter screw in it. Or just leave the hole.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I just leave the holes.

Comment

I'd stick a diamond earring in there. Class it up a lil.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I just so happened to have a shorter length screw in my stash so I put that in the screw hole where the G/D tree was. Left the dimple holes alone. They're fine.

Comment

Usually I only fill holes when I am painting over them, but I find the smallest dowel that is equal or larger than the hole (if necessary drill the hole bigger, don't try to make the dowel smaller), cut it near flush, sand it down, cover it with wood filler, let it dry, sand it down, paint over it. If I'm not painting over it, I just don't worry about it
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

toothpick and normal polyvinylic glue , once dried cut with a blade levelling to the surface, you can even color it (I once used gouache to match the color, it worked )

Comment

Working...
              X