Getting A Kramer Baretta Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting A Kramer Baretta Special

So I was reading up on this guitar and it seems to get really good reviews and the price is right. Anyone own one, what are your thoughts?
    Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
    Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
    2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
    1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
    Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
    Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
    Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

For the price of those guitars they are actually pretty nice. Ive picked up the one my neighbor bought for their son for Christmas. The guitar is super light, unplugged, its very resonant and the action seems pretty decent.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
      For the price of those guitars they are actually pretty nice. Ive picked up the one my neighbor bought for their son for Christmas. The guitar is super light, unplugged, its very resonant and the action seems pretty decent.
      Good to hear!
      Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
      Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
      Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
      2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
      1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
      Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
      Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
      Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Comment

Never played one I wouldn't have loved to own. Anyone who has played them loves them. If you can be patient they dip under $200 from time to time.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I have two (Purple one & the Blue sparkle) & they're both awesome players. They came out of the box that way, playing like butter lol..

I can't think of another guitar at even double (maybe even triple) the price that plays & sounds as good

I've only modded one and purely for aesthetics....(apart from adding locking tuners) They both have the stock pups which are great. Tuning stability is fine especially after a little lube on the nut. The fretwork/fit and finish on both of mine were awesome, no complaints at all...
          "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
          If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Like I said, punches way above it's weight

With my 50W solid state AMT Stonehead amp..

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I bought a used Pacer that someone had dropped an EMG 57/66 set in. Once I replaced the nut with one that was the proper height, it plays like a dream! One of the cheapest in my stable, and it is killer!
              Attached Files
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
              Originally posted by Securb
              The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Yeah, I have a Purple sparkle Pacer too & it's another great guitar.

The only one I found a bit disappointing was my new Striker. It had quality issues..

The Baretta's are Indonesian & the other's are MiC. Though the pacer is a cut above the Striker..

Youtube

Comment

Are they making any USA Kramers again yet?
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

They have a couple of sig models & also some Nightswan's that are over $1000...not sure where they're made though..

I would'nt mind one of these Vanguard V's for about $350 though..

Alder, ebony board, Floyd special..not too bad

Youtube

Comment

^^ Those are my fave Kramer logo's/headstock's too

Youtube

Comment

Oops ..actually $399 new so $400 not $350..and it's called a "Nite V" not Vanguard..still, tomato/tomato.....could'nt care less.

Just know it calls out to me ..I want a cheap, rockin', pointy V

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                          I have two (Purple one & the Blue sparkle) & they're both awesome players. They came out of the box that way, playing like butter lol..

I can't think of another guitar at even double (maybe even triple) the price that plays & sounds as good

I've only modded one and purely for aesthetics....(apart from adding locking tuners) They both have the stock pups which are great. Tuning stability is fine especially after a little lube on the nut. The fretwork/fit and finish on both of mine were awesome, no complaints at all...
                          These testimonials are not helping! I wanted one for a cheap rock guitar that I could install a JB or 498T in. But a trip to my local GC to try one out damped down that desire. Almost every guitar on the wall at the local GC has horrible fret sprout. Like, dangerous-to-your-fingers bad. I think they source them from a warehouse in Death Valley. The Kramers were no exception. So it kind of killed the mood.

Now I'm back to thinking about ordering one online. I'm sure the fretwork would be better from somewhere like Sweetwater or one of the smaller mom & pops I've used on Reverb before.

Comment

Excuses excuses. A JB would slay in one of those. Fret ends easily fixed. Bah...
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              Are they making any USA Kramers again yet?
                              I don't think any of the Kramers of today are made in USA or even assembled in USA. Made in Indonesia or Korea I think.

I've picked up a few of the current offerings and being an owner of a vintage 1988 Baretta, owned a 1987 Baretta, and played Pacers Nightswans and others that were friends' guitars, these Gibson-owned Kramers don't stack up for me. The Baretta Special is nice for what it is but a Baretta without a Floyd is just wrong to me. Sure, there's the Baretta Classic which I'm sure is a fine guitar but nah. I'm good.

Yeah, I know at one point the original Kramers switched to using ESP necks and bodies from Japan from the prior supplier(s). The difference is they were sent to NJ in raw form. All the work to paint, lay in the frets, assemble, wire up, test, was done in NJ until late 80's before shutdown in 1990. I would have loved to have been at that fire sale with some cash.

Comment

Working...
                              X