Drilling into my neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling into my neck

Good morning gang, I recently acquired a Stratocaster neck with no neck pocket holes drilled into it. I also need to drill holes for the tuner nubs so the Fender locking tuners I have can finally have a home. What's the procedure to get this done right? I'm guessing it would be fine to seat the neck, clamp it, and use the holes in the body as a pilot for a center punch, but that feels too low tech and iffy. As for the tuner nubs, I have no idea as to what to do

Yes, seat the neck and use the holes in the body to mark/punch the holes for the neck.

The best way to get the nub holes correct for the tuners is this device from StewMac:

Accurately positions the hidden tuning machine pin holes. Ideal for one and two-pin Schaller tuners, one-pin Sperzels, and Fender locking tuners.

This works great, but it's a bit pricy though.

Another way is to install the tuners, line them up, then tap them on the back with a wooden mallet, or a hammer with a piece of wood on top of the tuners so not to scratch them. This will mark where the holes should be. Then carefully drill them. Or you could place a piece of carbon paper under the nubs and lightly tap to mark where the holes should be.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
      Yes, seat the neck and use the holes in the body to mark/punch the holes for the neck.

The best way to get the nub holes correct for the tuners is this device from StewMac:

Accurately positions the hidden tuning machine pin holes. Ideal for one and two-pin Schaller tuners, one-pin Sperzels, and Fender locking tuners.

This works great, but it's a bit pricy though.

Another way is to install the tuners, line them up, then tap them on the back with a wooden mallet, or a hammer with a piece of wood on top of the tuners so not to scratch them. This will mark where the holes should be. Then carefully drill them. Or you could place a piece of carbon paper under the nubs and lightly tap to mark where the holes should be.
      Yes, I totally agree with the neck. Your tuner solution is good too, but I usually put them in and tighten them until they dimple the back of the headstock and take them out and drill the little post hole.

Comment

How do I make sure they don't go crooked? tightening until they dimple sounds like a receipe for crooked tuners

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
          How do I make sure they don't go crooked? tightening until they dimple sounds like a receipe for crooked tuners
          They won't, if you're really worried put a small shim on the opposite side.

Comment

If you're concerned, yes, put a shim under the side of the tuner, tighten it just snug, hold a piece of wood on the back of the tuner, then tap it with a hammer.
            If the tuners have a hard time seating all the way after doing this, make sure the hole are in the correct place then just drill out the holes slightly larger until they seat
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
            X