banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are my options as far as Kluson-style nut and washer tuners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are my options as far as Kluson-style nut and washer tuners?

OK... so I wanna replace the stock Gibson tuners on my Les Paul Tribute with something nicer with a higher gear ratio. I want them to have the same footprint, and I don't want to use conversion bushings. I wanna keep the nut/washer mounting system.

I want it to look tradional-ish, but 14:1 gear ratio is kinda rough. I do like the lightweight aspect of Kluson-style tuners, though.

So far, I know of:
    Kluson Revolution - These look cool, and are probably my top runner up
    Schaller G Series - Is the button on these green-ish? I kinda hate green tuner buttons
    Grover Deluxe - I've had these before, and they're actually the exact same tuners as the stock Gibson deluxe down to the markings on the underside. They're just horrible snot green colored. I hate that.
    Graphtech Retro - Wow, these are expensive!

Anything else I should be looking at? I'm also doubtful about the Hipshots. I don't like the mounting plates, but if the screw hole is in the same position as Grovers or the bottom screw on the Gibson Deluxe, I'll give them a chance. I just don't like the mounting plates.

Thanks!

Gotoh offers 21:1 tuning machines....
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
      Gotoh offers 21:1 tuning machines....
      Not in a Kluson-style format, though. And their Kluson-types have the push-in bushing rather than the nut/washer.

Comment

I'm interested in this also; been looking for the same kind of thing for my SG to replace the oem jobs, and my conclusion so far in the search is that a vintage style tuner with a high ratio is not that common. So, like yourself, the Kluson Revolutions and Schaller Gs are the ones that seem to tick most of the boxes. I'm surprised Gotoh doesn't offer this kind of thing, considering their breadth of options.

The Schaller buttons do indeed look snotty/pukey, from what I've seen of them in non-stock pics; would prefer more cream meself, or at least options, considering you can order them as locking or not, and with different post heights.

Graphtechs are indeed fancy with their differentiated ratio per string, but can buy a whole guitar for that!

There's also PRS vintage type tuners, but don't know what their ratio is and whether they have a threaded bushing option.
        Originally posted by dominus
        Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
          I'm interested in this also; been looking for the same kind of thing for my SG to replace the oem jobs, and my conclusion so far in the search is that a vintage style tuner with a high ratio is not that common. So, like yourself, the Kluson Revolutions and Schaller Gs are the ones that seem to tick most of the boxes. I'm surprised Gotoh doesn't offer this kind of thing, considering their breadth of options.

The Schaller buttons do indeed look snotty/pukey, from what I've seen of them in non-stock pics; would prefer more cream meself, or at least options, considering you can order them as locking or not, and with different post heights.

Graphtechs are indeed fancy with their differentiated ratio per string, but can buy a whole guitar for that!

There's also PRS vintage type tuners, but don't know what their ratio is and whether they have a threaded bushing option.
          The PRS vintage tuners are made by Gotoh. They have the push-in bushing like the traditional Klusons, though.

Comment

Tone bushings, eh? As prescribed by Paul himself .

For me, the Schallers would be easier to get than Revs, but those pegs leave much to be desired, cos, ya know, looks matter.
            Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
              Tone bushings, eh? As prescribed by Paul himself .

For me, the Schallers would be easier to get than Revs, but those pegs leave much to be desired, cos, ya know, looks matter.
              What I'm worried about with the Schallers too is the weight. I believe the posts are brass on those, and the weight they report is as much as the full-size Grovers.

Comment

According to the Schaller website, the non-locking tuner with a single line peg is 28g, while a Grover Rotomatic is 46g. No idea what a Kluson Deluxe is, perhaps a smidge less than the Schaller.

Comment

Oh, interesting.

I'd honestly order the Schallers without hesitation if the buttons weren't putrid green, LOL.

Comment

I know, right?

I don't know what the deal is with the colour, the originals back in the day weren't like that! Makes me also think of those 90s LP Classics, which had similarly baby puke hued traps.

Comment

So I ordered a set of the Schallers. The page I got them from states they are 16:1, but the Schaller site states they are 18:1?

Whatever it may be, it seems like they'd be an upgrade over the 14:1 Grover/Gibson Deluxes made by Ping.

I'm pretty sure they'll be green-ish. But meh, whatever.

Comment

Working...
                      X