Adding forearm contour to tele

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding forearm contour to tele

Has anyone done something of this nature to a Tele before? I'm debating taking my tele body, rounding the edges to 1/8" (traditional tele edges) except a Strat style 1/2" roundover for the forearm. Does this type of thing have a name?

Images would help if you have any.
    Last edited by Chistopher; 03-20-2024, 07:50 AM.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

ive never put a forearm carve on a finished guitar, only in the build process but it wouldnt be much different other than the need to put some kind of finish on it

Comment

This isn't a finished guitar, just a Tele body that hasn't been rounded out yet. The picture is just my bass that put the idea in my head.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

Since it's a process that cannot be reversed, wouldn't it be safer to order the body you want from Warmoth and sell the one you have?
        Or an unfinished tele body from Solo guitar where you can carve a forearm contour yourself? If you're going wrong you can at least revert back to your existing body.

Comment

I have removed the picture because it is just causing confusion.

I have an unfinished tele body. I am going to add the traditional 1/8" roundover to the edges. On top of that I am going to add a 1/2" roundover to the forearm area. This is not a common guitar mod, warmoth does not do it. This bass is the closest thing I have seen to someone doing what I am refering to.

Does anyone have advice to help me do it cleanly?

Comment

Okay. I assume you are planning on using a router and bit to do the rounding over? If you have 2 different sized bits you can blend the 2 together with a bit of sandpaper or a file. I add belly carves and forearm carves using a 4-in-hand file - first the rasp end (to rough), then the file end (to smooth). Finally, 220 sandpaper with the grain (it at all possible) to blend it all together. Doesn't take much time, and it looks nice when completed.

Of course, the Ibanez bass in the link is not rounded over in the forearm area - it's actually a cove or bevel - but I see your point.
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Putting a full forearm relief in a Tele is a very simple procedure if you have some basic rasps or files. So simple that I wouldn't even consider doing just a 1/2" roundover. It should only take a half hour to do...including sanding.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

If you have a belt sander you could complete a forearm relief in 10-15 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  Putting a full forearm relief in a Tele is a very simple procedure if you have some basic rasps or files. So simple that I wouldn't even consider doing just a 1/2" roundover. It should only take a half hour to do...including sanding.
                  It's really more for trying to improve my skillset than anything. I'm trying to become more experimental with my woodworking, but I'm going to start with smaller steps

Comment

Forearm relief is a pretty small step. Doing a roundover will not improve your skillset much. Time to leap out of your box.

Comment

My pine body tele is still awaiting the forearm and tummy cut

Take a pencil
                      Make some marks about how far down the side
                      or how deep the cut will be

How far into the center of the body will it go

Get a good image of what you plan on

Try to stay inside your lines

I got sanding discs for a side grinder
                      My plan is to just buff off the parts i dont want

Like the others said
                      It will take longer to secure it to the table before working on it.

Be careful,
                      Always secure it so it doesnt move while you have sharp implements on it
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I would go with the full strat style bevel, not just a different radius, I don't think that is going to make much difference in playability. But, that's just my <$0.02, you do you!

Comment

Doing the roundover on the forearm by hand (sandpaper and or file) will be easier and saver than with an actual router bit.
                          The finer (file/sandpaper) you start, the saver the process is. But it will also take more time of course...

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
                            Doing the roundover on the forearm by hand (sandpaper and or file) will be easier ...
                            That's a joke...right?!

Comment

by hand? no thank you lol. power tools are your friend, but you need to be careful and go slow as to not mess it up. a good round over by hand would take forever

Comment

Working...
                              X