• Hyperswitch power wiring...

I am woking on a new guitar build. For electronics I am using:

1) Set of Billy Gibbons single coil sized humbuckers
    2) 1 Vol, 2 Tone 250K pots
    3) Hyperswitch
    4) Gain pre-amp
    5) Fishman 9V rechargeable battery

Here are my questions:
    1) Does the Hyperswitch need battery power when it is not in use?
    2) What function is being performed by the Hyperswitch in its low power mode?

All of the wiring diagrams for the Hyperswitch show a direct connect to a 9V source. Optimally I would like to wire by changing to a TRS jack, and wiring the 9V negative through the ring and sleeve so that power is activated when the guitar cable is inserted in the jack to complete the circuit. I always wire pre-amps/buffers this way to maximize battery life.

Is there any reason this would not work for the Hyperswitch?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum!

The Hyperswitch, from what I remember, does need power to work (even not connected to the app). As soon as the battery gets too low, it will stop connecting to the app. If it gets lower still, it will 'freeze' in one position. There is a 'sleep timer' you have to set. It is the time out when the switch isn't being used. Power is still used, though during this low power mode.

It does mention rechargeable batteries in the manual:

To be on the safe side, we recommend the battery should be replaced when the low battery warning pops up (close to 65%). For maximum safety, it is recommended that you only use 9v alkaline batteries. However, HyperSwitch will work with rechargeable and higher performance batteries like lithium manganese oxide batteries.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Welcome to the forum!

The Hyperswitch, from what I remember, does need power to work (even not connected to the app). As soon as the battery gets too low, it will stop connecting to the app. If it gets lower still, it will 'freeze' in one position. There is a 'sleep timer' you have to set. It is the time out when the switch isn't being used. Power is still used, though during this low power mode.
      Thanks. I am trying to figure out if the hyperswitch stores settings in volatile memory that needs power, or has some other power dependent features when it is not being used to maintain the settings or if they designed the switch to always be connected to the battery to simplify the circuitry vis a vis another switch for power. Seems very silly to me that you would leave a circuit permanently connected when the device is not in use. Also, given the tendency of batteries to leak over time, it would seem that you do not want to store a guitar with the battery for any length of time. The TRS enabled ground switch circuit is the easiest way connect and disconnect the battery when the guitars in use without adding any additional controls. Let the TRS cable connector complete the circuit for you.

I don't want to wire the guitar this way (TRS) if it turns out that prolonged periods without a battery connection will render the hyperswitch not useable without reconfiguration the next time it is powered up.

Comment

Well, it just goes into a 'sleep' mode when you aren't using it for awhile. But I think there is a very very slight drain on the battery when it isn't being used. It doesn't need to pair to the app unless you are adjusting the settings, but it does need power to work and keep the settings stored.

Comment

..but it does need power to work and keep the settings stored.
          Thanks Mincer. Very helpful. Do you know how long the settings remain stored without power? If a battery died unbeknownst to the user and several weeks or months past, would they have to reconfigure the hyperswitch after they replaced the battery?

Comment

I would think it would be a matter of connecting to the app and sending the settings stored in the app to the switch.

Comment

Thanks. The build should be completed in about a month. I will post my experiences with hyperswitch power wired through TRS in case others are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmk69 View Post
                Thanks. The build should be completed in about a month. I will post my experiences with hyperswitch power wired through TRS in case others are interested.
                Yes, I'd love to know how this turns out!

Comment

Working...
                X