No announcement yet.

A dumb guitar metaphysical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But what if you have two identical guitars...is it just one guitar?
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

On a guitar like a Strat, you can choose a neck ("C", "D", sharp "V", soft "V", etc) to make THAT guitar more comfortable for you to play. It is still the same guitar.
      You can change the pups, pots, etc. to make it sound the way you want. It is still the same guitar.
      You can change the color to make it prettier to your taste. It is still the same guitar.
      But if you change the body or the scale length, I think you now have a different guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        Theseus is very interesting when applied to consciousness....
        You have about 36 trillion cells in your body and replace about 33 billion every day. Which means about every three years you've replaced all the cells in your body. Are you the same person? : P

Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
          If you have a guitar Hank and someone steals the neck and pickups and you have a guitar Norbit and someone steals the body but leaves the pickups and neck, what happens when you combine the two into one guitar?
          After you put it together, you track down the person who took your stuff and hit them in the shins with the newly assembled instrument. If it's a right-handed guitar, it must be called Harbit, and if it's a left-handed guitar, Nornk.
          Take it to the limit
          Everybody to the limit
          Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post
            After you put it together, you track down the person who took your stuff and hit them in the shins with the newly assembled instrument. If it's a right-handed guitar, it must be called Harbit, and if it's a left-handed guitar, Nornk.
            This is the way.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I´m with Ace, if the core is gone, it´s a different guitar. I mean, if you take all the hadware off a strat and slap it onto a tele, is it still a strat? No, so how can it realistically be the same guitar.?

The Ship of Theseus thought experiment only works because a ship, or the human body, has so many single components than can be changed out and replaced independently that removing one or even close to half of them simultaneously and immediately replacing them with new facsimilies will have zero tangible impact. But as soon as you put a different neck on a guitar, the feel and tone can change noiticably, because the single components have a much greater impact on the overall sytem.

Where it changes a bit is "living" istruments, like a Hank, Norbert, or whatever... beause there teh instrument is viewed almost more like a pet or other living breathing entity.. but even if Hank suddenly wakes up one day as an Explorer, he´s no longer Hank the strat, though he´s arguably still Hank
              Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

You have about 36 trillion cells in your body and replace about 33 billion every day. Which means about every three years you've replaced all the cells in your body. Are you the same person? : P
                If they are replaced, you are the same person. If they are replaced with someone else's cells, you are a mutant.

Comment

The funny thing is that I changed the pickguard on my Strat and added a neck pickup two weeks ago, and at least four people asked me if it was a new guitar. It seems like the same guitar to me, whether it is HSH, H, or HS; it has been all three configurations.

Comment

I'd say that as long as my connection to the instrument doesn't change (like, changing a neck makes me not want to pick it up anymore), then mentally, it is the same to me. I'm not thinking I got a new guitar- I am thinking I love this guitar I already have.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

For me it is the body and neck and anything I need to touch in the instrument in order to play a note. I can replace electronics and hardware and I consider it the same guitar with upgrades. If I replaced the neck and keep the body I would have a different feel and tha would be to me a different guitar. Even strings, some guitars just beg you to use 9-42, others 10-46 in Eb and so on, using the wrong straing gauge can make the instrument unusable for me, a different instrument.
                      Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                        The funny thing is that I changed the pickguard on my Strat and added a neck pickup two weeks ago, and at least four people asked me if it was a new guitar. It seems like the same guitar to me, whether it is HSH, H, or HS; it has been all three configurations.
                        If it's my wife, they are all the same guitar. A couple years back I bought a Rosewood Tele. A couple days after that, I was playing my SG and my wife walked by and said, "Is that your new guitar?"

(This is a stock photo, but it's what mine looked like at the time.)

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                          On a guitar like a Strat, you can choose a neck ("C", "D", sharp "V", soft "V", etc) to make THAT guitar more comfortable for you to play. It is still the same guitar.
                          You can change the pups, pots, etc. to make it sound the way you want. It is still the same guitar.
                          You can change the color to make it prettier to your taste. It is still the same guitar.
                          But if you change the body or the scale length, I think you now have a different guitar.
                          I was about to say that the body was the guitar, but the note on scale length resonated.

I've neck swapped my red strat and considered it the same guitar. I've had 3 different necks on my white strat. The two 25-1/2" necks made it essentially "the same" guitar. The baritone conversion neck made it a different guitar.
                          Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

^ +1.
                            Yeah, if it's a different scale length, it's a different guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

If it's my wife, they are all the same guitar. A couple years back I bought a Rosewood Tele. A couple days after that, I was playing my SG and my wife walked by and said, "Is that your new guitar?"
                              I couldn't get away with that. Eleni noticed when I went from gold covers to open coils on the Les Paul recently.

Comment

I gotta back pedal on my 1st answer a bit. I've had a couple guitars that were lifeless and uninteresting. New pups, (usually Duncans), made them "new" guitars, that I loved.

Comment

Working...
                                X