Got myself a NGD! Edwards to Gibson conversion - Double Cut Junior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got myself a NGD! Edwards to Gibson conversion - Double Cut Junior

I was notified from a seller on Reverb of a 2005 Edwards 100LT TV Yellow Double Cut Junior. The seller saw it on a Japanese site, remembered an old enquiry I had made to him, and contacted me with the link.

So I clicked on the link...2005, full thin skin nitro...the best one Edwards ever made. I had read enough reports on these to know if I ever happened upon one I would definitely try to get it. Reports were always of them having a 58 or 59 neck profile.

This one was listed as "needs a cleaning"...in reality, the nitro was badly flaking off of the headstock, but these are very rare in the wild, so I went ahead and signed up for a Buyee account and went through the steps to bid on it. I was the winner at what converted to $650 USD which I felt extremely good about in 2024 dollars. It was another couple hundred in shipping, but a properly made TV Yellow DC Jr for $850 all-in? Okay...sign me up!

The guitar arrived in 3 days which very much surprised me. No damage.

I looked over the guitar...shade of yellow was right, the neck wasn't a 58 or 59 profile...felt more like an early 1960 profile to me. I got out my calipers and it measured: .88" at the first fret and .94" at the 12th fret...yeah...definite transition profile.

I plugged in the guitar and it didn't have the same oomph that my 2018 single cut limited junior has. I opened up the electronics cavity and saw it had 250k pots. I looked at the pickup...Greco Hotliner. So I ordered a Gibson dogeared P90, two 500k CTS pots and an orange drop capacitor. I also ordered a set of locking Gotoh tuners (vintage style...they drop right in with no new holes) and my normal Dunlop Straplocks. Finally, I bought a dark brown tortoise pickguard to replace the ugly stock red tortoise guard. Once all the parts came in, I installed what I could, and then took the guitar to my tech for a complete overhaul.

The Edwards logo AND the serial on the back of the headstock were not usuble once the old finish was removed as they both pretty much disintegrated. So I quickly ordered vinyl Gibson and Les Paul TV Model logos from the good folks over at Guitar-Restore.net and, upon delivery, took 'em to my tech. Also, I decided to have a serial number that has meaning to me stamped into the back of the headstock (818603 ... I met my wife on August 18th and married her almost 4 years later on June 3rd). Had I looked more extensively at the time, I would have seen that the Edwards logo and Limited MODEL script are also available at Guitar-Restore.net. At some point I may redo this headstock as I’m torn between the Gibson logo and script being perfectly fine as it is clearly a vintage Gibson design (along with it having a Gibson pickup) and the fact that it wasn’t actually Gibson who made & sold it when it was new.

Also, I have since found out that these early Edwards double cut Junior LT guitars (LT means “lacquer taste,” by the way, and this being a 2005 is a first year model) are the ones to get as they are the lightest in weight and have the greatest unplugged resonance.

This particular guitar feels like a Gibson custom shop guitar in the hands…it’s that good! The finish is not the modern day nitro with all the plasticizing agents in it either…it’s the old school recipe.

I like it so much I decided to sell my Gibson 2018 Ltd Edition Junior and my 2019 Original Collection TV Yellow special.

Oh...this guitar weighs 6 lbs 3 ounces.

PICS:

1988 Fender MIJ ST54 Hardtail Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
    2005 Edwards E-JR-100LTD/DC w/Gibson P90
    2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Mahogany Satin
    2015 Fender Road Worn '50s Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
    2024 Gibson Les Paul Junior
    -------
    1997 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
    2021 Epic Amplification AR50
    2022 Mojotone British 800 2204​
    2022 Grand Mojotone JCW 2204

Very cool! Nice wood, and I dig the locking-but-vintage tuners.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The simplicity of design on the DC Jr's are total rock machines.

Comment

Originally posted by cliffenstein View Post

That is just a very cool stripped-down rock machine. I freaking love it. There is nothing there not to love.

Comment

love it! single pup guitars like that push you to figure out how to use the controls to get the different tones you need, or at least thats been my experience.

Comment

Working...
          X