banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strats . . . 3 spring vs. 5 spring trems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strats . . . 3 spring vs. 5 spring trems.

This might be the most amateurish question of the day, so please do excuse my ignorance.
    From your experience, do you feel (hear) that there is a difference in the clean tone between a Strat set up with 3 springs vs. the same Start set up with 5 springs in the trem system ?

Thanks.
    Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

I can't hear it. But I don't like the way a trem works with 5.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I hear no difference between number of springs. However - the number of springs obviously determines the action of the vibrato system. On a Fender derived system, I like to set them up with 2 springs, full floating. I find them more responsive that way.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Never heard a difference.

Comment

I don't hear a difference, but I prefer 3 springs to 5 for feel of the trem when you're using it. 5 is good if you want to deck the trem and use it as a hardtail.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            I don't hear a difference, but I prefer 3 springs to 5 for feel of the trem when you're using it. 5 is good if you want to deck the trem and use it as a hardtail.
            I do on some.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
              On a Fender derived system, I like to set them up with 2 springs, full floating. I find them more responsive that way.
              I settled on just 2 springs also. I'm of the (totally unscientifically founded) opinion that fewer springs are more stable.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaghetti Bolo View Post

I settled on just 2 springs also. I'm of the (totally unscientifically founded) opinion that fewer springs are more stable.
                More tension is more stable provided the neck is also stable. On thinner necks less tension is more stable.

I can hear a slight difference in the sympathetic vibration of the springs on occasion if I am playing unplugged, but it doesn't go through the pickups
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post

More tension is more stable provided the neck is also stable. On thinner necks less tension is more stable.

I can hear a slight difference in the sympathetic vibration of the springs on occasion if I am playing unplugged, but it doesn't go through the pickups
                  I usually jam some foam inside the springs to kill sympathetic vibration. I'll take my 'verb from the amp, not the guitar thank you very much. :P
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I usually put enough springs to make the bridge flat on body when in tune (so the trem works only in detuning and if I break a string it remains tuned), not more, generally 3 is enough

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      I can't hear it. But I don't like the way a trem works with 5.
                      . . . too tight ?
                      Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post

. . . too tight ?
                        It becomes not effective/non-workable as a vibrato system.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I can hear a difference. It's slight. But having a tighter connection to that anchor in the body seems to affect something in the sustain and/or tone IME.

Comment

As far as sustain goes, I've only noticed a difference with fully floating or down-only. Granted I have never actively tested sustain as related to pressure of the bridge on the body
                            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Spaghetti Bolo View Post

This has been my anecdotal observation as well. It seems to fly in the face of Internet convention, but there you have it.

Comment

Working...
                              X