Clear All

• New Pup Day

Just installed Phat Cats in 2011 Epiphone Dot

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240504_165245.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	6278833

I love Phat Cats. I didn't find the neck pickup dark as many people seem to describe it, personally.

Comment

I've only played it a bit, and I really like the clarity, and if I want it darker...tone knob!

Comment

How do they compare to the stock pickups?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Phat Cats are the quintessential "Gibson" ES sound, to me.

Comment

Originally posted by magillver View Post
            I've only played it a bit, and I really like the clarity, and if I want it darker...tone knob!
            PCs in a Dot are insane.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

Now you've got a guitar to be proud of. I'm a real P-90 lover...no better tone available. (Not saying humbuckers can't sound good, I've got too many guitars to count that have great sounding humbuckers in them).

But when I'm building a guitar where the tone is THE major consideration, it's designed to have P-90s in it. (Which reminds me...I've finished the guitar that was designed for the JJN Silencers and have had a chance to play it. I need to find the time to do my eval of them). Coming soon to a theatre near you.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Sweet axe - great pickup choice.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Just finished (?) the project: Phat Cats, Tonepros locking bridge and tailpiece, Tusq XL nut and locking Grovers, this baby sings! I can't wait to gig with it this weekend! (I somehow managed to doink up the bridge tone control while stuffing everything back through the f-hole, but that a fix for another day...)

Comment

Just finished (?) the project: Phat Cats, Tonepros locking bridge and tailpiece, Tusq XL nut and locking Grovers, this baby sings! I can't wait to gig with it this weekend! (I somehow managed to doink up the bridge tone control while stuffing everything back through the f-hole, but that a fix for another day...)
                    How do the PCs sound different than the stock pickups?

Comment

Sorry Mincer, I missed that first time around! The original humbuckers came across as a bit muddy to me, not much character. The Phat Cats are really clear and concise, really well-balanced, and I get a bit of 'quack' when they're combined. So far, I've only played it through my Fishman Loudbox mini, but I'm looking forward to playing through my H&K tube amp this weekend (it's at a buddy's house), I expect it'll really shine through that amp!

Comment

Sorry Mincer, I missed that first time around! The original humbuckers came across as a bit muddy to me, not much character. The Phat Cats are really clear and concise, really well-balanced, and I get a bit of 'quack' when they're combined. So far, I've only played it through my Fishman Loudbox mini, but I'm looking forward to playing through my H&K tube amp this weekend (it's at a buddy's house), I expect it'll really shine through that amp!
                        Very cool! I'd think though a proper amp, you'd hear a big difference. The Phat Cats have a lot of fans around here.

Comment

Nice. If this forum did such a thing, I'd vote that "axe of the month."

Comment

Very nice. That's a blues machine right there.

Comment

Too bad I'm such a list blues player! That's one style I never really glommed on to, don't know why...here's the axe and amp combo at my occasional winery gig:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	20240512_133500.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	6279846

Comment

Working...
                              X