No announcement yet.

Anyone smart with active pickup wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone smart with active pickup wiring?

Hey all, I've been using active pickups in more and more of my guitars, to the point where I'm getting sick of trying to stuff batteries into them. A couple in particular just literally have NO room for the battery so I decided to invest in that EMG 918 pedal that powers the pickups so you don't need a battery in the guitar.

Truth is though, I bought one second hand and it didn't come with those "shorting clips" that you're supposed to install.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	62
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	6279090

ES-18_0230-XXXX 2016 (emgpickups.com) (Here is the full link to the documentation which explains how it works with a stereo cable etc.)

I didn't really *want* to install those clips anyway - I don't care about retaining the option to use batteries in the guitar because there's no possibility of ever fitting one in here.

Can anyone tell from looking at this if I can just bypass this battery clip nonsense and wire that battery lug straight to the battery bus instead? I was thinking that would work, just take that red wire where it goes to the battery clips and cut off that end and solder it to the battery lug on the output jack.

Failing that, could I just short the battery clips myself do you think? Maybe just solder a wire in between them? or something

I've asked EMG as well, but they take a few days to respond, just wondering if anyone here might know how to answer this.. if not, I'll play the waiting game! Hopefully I don't need to buy those shorting clips from EMG and wait for the postage..

Thanks all

Just cut out the clips and solder the two wires together like this.
    Attached Files

Comment

You can build a Phantom Power box using this schematic and running a stereo cable to the guitar. The cable delivers the power and the plug completes the circuit.
      Attached Files

Comment

Yes

I don't buy them.

Comment

I got one of those nifty adapters to plug two 12v batteries in the space of one 9v because I prefer them at 18v. I don’t know or care if 24v is an improvement but I appreciate the space especially with the push pull for the 89. It was getting cramped in there.
          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Working...
          X