NGD: Goldtop Goodness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: Goldtop Goodness

Was not planning on this but this beauty showed up on Reverb locally and I had to get it. It was the best price I've seen in a long time for Goldtop like this. Picked it up yesterday. It's a 2010 Les Paul Traditional, 50's neck, weighs 10lbs flat. The pickups were replaced by the owner prior to the one I bought it from. Bridge is a Suhr SSH+ and the neck is a Suhr SSV. They sound really really good. I was little unsure of the SSH+ with it being so hot but I'm finding I like it better than many other pickups in that output range I've used in the past. Everything else is stock. Strung it up with 10-48 Ultra Slinky's last night and man, what tone and sustain. Pictures do not do the color justice. It is stunning in person.

And now I have two Gibsons, this one and a 2009 Les Paul Traditional Pro.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5510.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	6279527

Name:	IMG_5513.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	6279528

Name:	IMG_5514.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	6279529

Congrats on the cool, unexpected find! I have to stay off of Reverb for awhile...
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

looks good! i have an '09? traditional and i really like it. enjoy!

Comment

That is freaking gorgeous.

Comment

Very nice! Congrats
          https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

That’s a Beautiful Goldtop you’ve got there.

I REALLY want a killer Gibson Goldtop so badly, but all I have is this lowly Goldtop.

My ‘94 PRS Standard 24

Name:	IMG_3308.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	6279585

Comment

Congrats. Goldtops are a thing of beauty...gorgeous looking, gorgeous sounding.

How much, might I ask, did you pay for it?

The first time I remember hearing one was in 1970-71. The guitarist in a local group up in Toronto played one, and that's when I first fell in love and decided that I had to have one.

I'm not sure what year mine is, but I've got a LP Goldtop DC with P-90s and I can't imagine a goldtop that could sound any better than that.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Thanks, all. It's a hell of a player. I have one of those gelled straps that helps it feel lighter. I ran thru the Texez Mudd set for our upcoming gig on June 9th last couple nights without issue. The neck is super comfortable for me.

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                Congrats. Goldtops are a thing of beauty...gorgeous looking, gorgeous sounding.

How much, might I ask, did you pay for it?
                $1750. There's one other I came across that's a little less but is in Louisiana and this was local so I jumped on it. All the other Goldtop Traditionals listed are near or over $2K. Past sold listings show it to be at the lower to lower-mid tier of pricing. And with Suhr pickups? Sure. I think stock pickups in the Traditional are a BB1&BB2 set. I know the Trad Pro I have is stock with '57 Classic/BB3 set.

Though my LP Junior DC is not a Goldtop, and not even a Gibson, it plays and sounds amazing. I've been using it a lot at my cover band gigs. It's perfect for the stuff we do.
                Last edited by ErikH; 05-13-2024, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Wow, that was a great price.

Comment

my 09 trad had 57 classic/57 classic plus for what thats worth

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      Good to know. I've been trying to dig up the specs of these from that period on the interwebs without much luck. Was hoping the internet archive had something but it doesn't go back that far. I've come across comparisons between the Trad and Trad Pro but nothing that lists out the complete specs like would be seen on Gibson's site.
                      Last edited by ErikH; 05-13-2024, 09:56 AM.

Comment

And I just found this...lol Covers years 2008-2012.

SPECS WOOD & CONSTRUCTION ELECTRONICS Bridge Pickup: '57 Classic Plus Neck Pickup: '57 Classic Potentiometers Vol: 300K Potentiometers Tone: 500K Split Coils: no Booster: no Finishes Finish Type: GLOSS Facts

Comment

LOVE IT!

Congrats on the score
                          My Bands -
                          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

PS:
                            Love the 49ers blanket.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                              Same here I replaced them with WLHs and never looked back. The 57s were bright an a bit thjn to my ear.

Comment

Working...
                              X