Mahogany Tele Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    Hey! I finally made a tone test just for you guys on the SDUGF. It shows each pickup position and what that sounds like, both clean and dirty.

I hope you enjoy it

Man, I love that 1/4 pounder all by itself!!
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Man, I love that 1/4 pounder all by itself!!
      Yeah! It's great - this is my first time using one and I'm impressed so far. Really lives up to it's description of getting humbucker type fat tones. It sounds strangely like a regular Telecaster pickup clean, but dirty it really feels big
      my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

nice lick. wonder where ya heard that?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          nice lick. wonder where ya heard that?
          Haha I told you I made it just for the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post

That clip was mostly the Quarter Pounder bridge pickup. I love that pickup.

EDIT: I had the switch backwards (up was bridge, down was neck) and have since remedied that to make more sense. You're not seeing things, though, I had the switch "up" in that clip

I agree that the mini hum is more muddy than anything else right now. I think I know why - I have it on a 250K audio-taper pot, and I need/want to change that to a 500K linear taper pot.

250K to 500K will brighten it somewhat. And audio taper is nice for volume or tone sometimes, but I think I actually prefer linear taper across the board. For this Blend pot, even more so - it does nothing from 1-9, then from 9-10 it goes from barely detectable to overpowering the other pickups. Linear will sort that out.

I looked in my email and I bought all these parts in 2011 (!) when I was less informed.

As you may have guessed, I am a tinkerer (aren't we all, if we landed on the SDUGF?) so changing things here and there is fun/interesting for me
            Failing that, as a worst case scenario just replace it with a firebird pickup and you should be able to get the same dark tones but with much brighter options. And it'll still look the same. :P
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I agree. If changing the pot doesn't do it, a Firebird should help with the brightness.

Comment

That's an interesting recommendation - I hadn't thought about Firebird pickups at all. Thanks for the rec!

Comment

I think that's going to make your guitar as awesome as it can get. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                  X